Townshend questioning postponed

>From Keets:

>>> "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com> 01/30/03 02:55PM

www.mtv.com/news/articles...lines=true

Police in London have pushed back the date that the
Who's Pete Townshend has
to return for further inquiry regarding three
suspected child pornography
offenses: possessing, making and distributing indecent
images of children.

The 57-year-old rock legend was due to be questioned
on Monday, but police
have rescheduled the interrogation for sometime in
February, said a
spokesperson for Scotland Yard, who would not reveal
whether the delay was
at Townshend's request or if the police need more time
to gather evidence.

Townshend was arrested on January 13 as part of a
widespread crackdown on
people who view child pornography over the Internet
(see "Pete Townshend
Arrested In Child Porn Investigation").

In the days before his arrest, the guitarist
proclaimed his innocence,
saying he paid to view a child porn site and browsed
through other free
sites to conduct research for his upcoming
autobiography, which will include
material about how he may have been abused in his
youth.

In the United States there is no legal defense for
viewing child
pornography, but in England those who look at it for
"legitimate" reasons
can be exempted.

Townshend continues to insist he has always been
appalled by child
pornography, and that he has taken numerous steps in
the past to oppose it,
including posting a lengthy diatribe on his Web site,
giving money to the
National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Children's Full Stop
campaign and reporting child porn Web sites to the
Internet Watch Foundation
(see "Pete Townshend Released On Bail, Expected To
Undergo Further
Questioning").

In a post Wednesday on www.petetownshend.com,
Townshend wrote that he has
procured evidence from the IWF that he thinks will
clear his name. A founder
from the organization had previously claimed no
knowledge of having been
contacted by the guitarist, but the IWF admitted it
made a mistake.

"I, of course, know that I did communicate with them
several times last
year, and they have now supplied to us copies of my
e-mails to them, one in
August and the rest in November," Townshend wrote. "My
lawyers have written
to the founder of the IWF, Mark Stephens, who was
adamant that they had
never heard from me, asking for an explanation."

In February, when Townshend again appears before the
police, he will either
be "rebailed" (asked to return pending further
investigation), cleared or
charged, police said. If charged for accessing child
porn, he could face
five years in jail. However, if he's charged for
forwarding an e-mail
containing such material he could face up to 10 years
behind bars.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com