Re: The Dark Times

Think for a moment this absolutely same thing happened not to Pete Townshend, but to a very dear and close friend. You would believe your friend, but would this mean you would approve of the WAY he was doing his research? What would your actions be? Would you support your friend? How?
I think you're going to start a serious fight here, Helen. When everybody comes out with their true opinion of what Pete has done, I suspect we're going to have a humongous brawl.

Part I, The definition problem.

Did everybody see this article?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/child/story/0,7369,880251,00.html

Everybody has been talking about this issue like it's a matter of black and white. All the advocates I've heard talk about it phrase it that way, too, i.e. you're a criminal if you look. Some will say this about porn in general--however, everyone takes it as a matter of course as far as child porn is concerned.

So what it child porn? It's possible that this guy is painting a rosier picture of "pedophiles" than is actually true, but if this was what he was actually convicted for, then the definition of child porn is very gray indeed. I found some comment today that the court must consider the artistic merit of photos, etc. and I'm reminded of the Mapplethorpe trial a few years back where the offending photos included one of a little girl holding her dress up. The museum director was up on obscenity charges for showing it, but it was judged art. Would a large collection of similar artistic photos on a website which charges for entry be considered a child porn site? What about a website that featured the sex-charged music videos they show for kids on the Disney channel? What about a website that featured a collection of pay to download Calvin Klien ads? Why are all these media considered okay to show on TV and in magazines, and a similar photo/video made by an Internet entrepreneur considered to be not-okay?

I know there's a clear difference between hard-core and soft-core porn, but I submit that arrests and prosecutions based on collection of the kind of material that shows on TV and appears in upscale magazines is hypocritial and only weakens the position of the anti-child porn movement.

Next: Part II, Is it really a crime to look?