[no subject]

Fleetwood Mac, Bowie, Petty, Townshend & Others
Eligible For Songwriters Hall Of Fame
(1/3/03, 5 p.m. ET) -- This year's Songwriters Hall Of
Fame induction class could have a decidedly
rock-and-roll edge to it. The organization has asked
voters to choose from a pool that includes David
Bowie, Tom Petty, Queen, Pete Townshend, John Fogerty,
Van Morrison, Neil Young, Phil Collins, and the
Fleetwood Mac lineup that came together in the '70s
(Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood,
John McVie, and Christine McVie), as well as
Aerosmith/Bon Jovi collaborator Desmond Child. The
Songwriters Hall Of Fame will hand out the honors at
its 34th annual ceremony on June 12 in New York City.

The Hall Of Fame hasn't announced yet who will be
inducted this year, but Queen's Brian May and Roger
Taylor plan to attend the event, according to a post
on their website (queenonline.com).

Others up for induction include Billy Sherrill ("The
Most Beautiful Girl In The World," "Stand By Your
Man"), Charles Fox ("I Got A Name," "Killing Me Softly
With His Song," and the themes for the TV shows Happy
Days and Laverne & Shirley), Henry Cosby & Sylvia Moy
("My Cherie Amour," "Tears Of A Clown," "Love Child"),
Barrett Strong & Norman Whitfield ("I Can't Get Next
To You," "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," "Ain't
Too Proud To Beg," "I Know I'm Losing You," "Papa Was
A Rolling Stone"), Robert Wright & George Forrest
("Stranger In Paradise," "Sands Of Time"), Joe South
("Hush," "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden"), Little
Richard ("Long Tall Sally," "Lucille," "Tutti
Frutti"), Mac Davis ("In The Ghetto," "Baby, Don't Get
Hooked On Me"), Michael Masser ("Didn't We Almost Have
It All," "Saving All My Love For You," "Touch Me In
The Morning," "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love for You,"
"(The) Greatest Love Of All"), Harvey Schmidt & Tom
Jones (The Fantasticks, "Try To Remember"), Stephen
Schwartz ("Day By Day," "Godspell"), and Sunny Skylar
("Besame Mucho," "It Must Be Jelly Cause Jam Don't
Shake Like That").

-- Bruce Simon, New York

=====
-Brian in Atlanta