Interesting child porn development

Is anyone on the list interested in following this? If so please let me know. Otherwise, I'll go off to write letters by myself. I'm sort of posting under the assumption that others might be intrested in participating.

Apparently Pennsylvania has decided to try blocking child porn sites as a technique to stop the trade. Here are excerpts from the AP article. It's possible that objections from ISPs have a financial basis.

WASHINGTON - Pennsylvania is forcing Internet providers to block Web sites that include child pornography, a new legal strategy that technology and civil liberties experts worry will unintentionally interfere with legitimate surfing.

In a precursor to a possible courtroom challenge, lawyers from the Center for Democracy and Technology will try to compel Pennsylvania's attorney general to disclose new details about the state's tactics. They are worried other states may follow Pennsylvania's practice.

<snip>

World.com lawyers, while saying they abhor child pornography, had objected that filters placed on behalf of Pennsylvania citizens would affect all their subscribers in North Anerica from visiitng thousands of Web sites "completely unrelated in content and ownership" to the pornographic material.

Lawyers for the civil liberties group and some technology experts said the strategy undermines the Internet's global connectivity by regularly blocking Web surfers visiting harmless sites that may be located on the same server conputers as sites with child pornography.

keets