Re: Face Dances

> > Hi-hat releases = pop song?
>
> Yes, It's that simple for me.

OK, I'll give you "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, but BOC's "Godzilla?"

> I know.  I kept thinking.. "Man, Scott is cool and his band is cool,
> but I hate Kenney Jones.  I have to bite my tongue or the beers will
> stop....

I could see the Kenney hatred in your eyes.  It was an unspoken wedge
between us.  It seemed to disappear after my second shot of Jager, though.

> Wait, is that Kenney with one E or two?

I think it's two "e's."  I once spelled it with one "e" & Mark Leaman
threatened legal action. (Ironic in that he's not even a Kenney supporter.)

> Well, he is pretty good on some songs.

That's all I'm asking for.  A little acknowledgement.  More balanced
criticism.  If *I* can occasionally drop the odd compliment about John
Bonham surely *you* can say something nice about Kenney Jones every six
months or so.

> I don't know if I like him or not...

C'mon!  I sent you that Rockpalast '81 video!  What more evidence do you
need?!  He *drove* the fucking band at that show.  Fast, too!

> I wonder how Jeff's girl, Lia, managed to keep her hair like that
> (looking as if she just stepped out of a European fashion mag) after
> climbing out of a crowded van, being on a mini tour and all.

That's her one great talent.  Looking good.  She spends more time in
front of mirrors than the pre-"I'm Free" Tommy.

> I wish that *I* was a rock star....  I think I'm gonna go learn to
> play the drums..."

Well, make sure hi-hat releases are part of your regiment!

> BOOdoo-doo  BOOdoo-doo   BOOdoo-doo  Boop!

Some of your drum practicing seeped into your post, I'm afraid.  Keep
that racket down!

> > You enjoy Kenney Jones *much* more than you dislike him!  It's so
> > obvious to everyone but yourself!
>
> See why I subscribe to this list?  Otherwise, I wouldn't even know who
> I am.

We know who you are.

> Boo-doo BOOMP  boomp boomp boomp.

I'm calling the cops.

> I couldn't bear it after Keith Moon's exit.  This album proved he ain't
> coming back.  That's what this album meant to me.

Well, you can gain some comfort in the fact that Kenney Jones ain't
coming back, either!

> Sigh. I guess that  I'm just a "better" who fan than you.  *I* missed
> Keith.  ;-)

Bear in mind I had no recollection of The Who with Moon to miss!  I
started getting into them around '81-'82.  It was like, "Oh, they used
to have another drum.  He's dead."  Keith was Who-history for me right
from the get-go.

> OK.  I'm not for superstition either. But what about our soul?

Superstitions, souls.....  It's all the same thing!  Don't you see, man?!
UFOs, ESP, telekinesis, astrology, psychics, miracles, gods, ghosts,
spirits, Bigfoot,.....  It's all fantasy, man!  There's more evidence
for Santy Clause than there is for a human "soul."  You're keeping your-
self trapped in the Dark Ages, Jon!  Join me!  Embrace the light of Truth!

> After Keith's death Pete hardened himself and got into a denial mode
> for a few years. I think that Cache Cache, Somebody Saved Me and
> DLGTC are a few times on this album that he was not in denial about
> the things going on around him and within him.

But there's a desperate uneasiness about WBN that is lacking on FD.  FD
is downright *positive* in many ways ("Another Tricky Day").  Even the
songs you mentioned, while touching on "the human struggle," still man-
age to evoke hope & personal triumph.  I wonder how Pete was able to keep
so outwardly upbeat at that time when, as you say, he was in the "valley
of his life?"

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism
http://www.secularhumanism.org/

A vast number of clergymen and laymen are perfectly satisfied. They
have no doubts. They believe as their fathers and mothers did. The
"scheme of salvation" suits them because they are satisfied that they
are embraced within its terms. They give themselves no trouble. They
believe because they do not understand. They have no doubts because
they do not think. They regard doubt as a thorn in the pillow of orth-
odox slumber. Their souls are asleep, and they hate only those who
disturb their dreams.
 - Robert Green Ingersoll