Re: Sell Out!

> Mark's gonna kick your ass.

Mark who?

> I was referring to Glow Girl.
> Right channel has neat little "ding ding-ding-ding ding" on the bell (?)
> cymbal (large cymbal usually to the right of floor tom, that often is
> tapped at the very center for a high bell sound), vs. Left channel that
> also has the same cymbal but a different beat.

Hmmmm....I'll have to break out the headphones.  I've never been struck
with an "overdub alert thought" while listening to "Glow Girl."  And I'm
not sure I'd label a little added cymbal effect as "double tracked drums"
or "drum overdubs."  It could be just a percussion effect, like that clap-
ping sound towards the end of "Glow Girl," played by Pete.  Should the
constant tambourine beat in "Substitute" be called a "drum overdub?"

> No, Mark!
> Don't do it!
> He doesn't know what he's saying!

Mark who?

> Good points, but I was thinking more along the lines that the album was
> just too English for us ignant Yanks.

Yes, I should've mentioned that.  Very true.

> Also, I detect *much* more English accent on Sell Out, than on latter
> albums.  Ever since Pete wrote about how English bands in his day
> purposely sang with American accents, I've been fascinated about this.

Oh, you & your accent fascination.  I just don't hear it, unless it's
done in an exaggerated fashion for effect.  Usually, singing dissolves away
*most* accent recognition, making them undetectable.  (I said "most."
Don't freak out.  I realize every now & then a sung word or phrase might
be pronounced in a way which exposes an accent.)

I'm always reminded of ABBA in these types of discussions.  Those girls
didn't even *understand* (for the most part) the English words they were
singing, & yet their Swedish accents are nearly unidentifiable.

So, I'm sorry, I wouldn't know how to tell if something is being sung with
an American accent, unless, like I said, it was exaggerated & deliberate,
such as singing with a thick country/western accent.

Now, *spoken* words are a different story (obviously).  "What's for tea,
dahling?"  "Wus fer tea, daw-tuh?"  "Li''le girl-guide" (from "A Quick
One" where the t's in "little" aren't fully pronounced - this is called
a glotteral stop).

I don't know.....Daltrey sings WGFA with kind of a country/western accent.
"Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter" is sung with a thick British
accent by Peter Noone.

I just don't think that *not* hearing a British accent means that the Pete
or Roger are singing *with* an *American* accent.

- SCHRADE in Akron