Re: Chris Entwistle

This is from today's Daily Mirror.

OX'S VAT OF BOOZE Dec 8 2003

Customs admit: 20 bottles of spirits WERE just for him

By Rosa Prince

THE son of The Who's John Entwistle has won a case against Customs officers
who seized his car because they did not believe how much his father drank.

Chris Entwistle, 31, brought in 15,000 cigarettes and 20 bottles of spirits
from France for his guitarist dad, nicknamed the Ox because of his boozing.

But Customs officers at Dover did not believe such a large amount could be
for private consumption.

They seized Chris's #21,000 Toyota Landcruiser, a 29th birthday present from
his father.

When John died aged 57 last year, Chris tried to get the car back, only to
learn Customs had already sold it.

In his first full interview since his father's death of a heart attack,
Chris said: "It's been a two-year fight and I wish my dad was here to see me
finally win it.

"He was furious at what happened and was 100 per cent behind me.

"My father was a multi-millionaire. It was ridiculous for Customs to suggest
we were trying to cheat them. We were hardly going to sell fags at a car
boot sale.

"Dad was known as the Ox because he drank a lot. His girlfriend was also a
drinker.

"I worked as dad's estate manager and I would go to France to bring stuff
back.

"My dad was determined to come to the tribunal with me. We discussed it. Two
days later, he was dead."

John died in June, 2002, in a Las Vegas hotel. He had taken cocaine and was
with a hooker.

His mansion in Gloucestershire had its own pub. A 40-a-day smoker, he would
drink a bottle of spirits a day.

Chris said: "This battle with Customs was important to my dad. It is
happening to all sorts of people. I thought if I could use my dad's fame and
wealth to fight this, then I would.

"If they are unable to appreciate that a rock star drinks and smokes a lot,
then no one has a chance."

Chris's solicitor Gary Lux, of Clintons Solicitors, said: "It is a scandal
that Customs sold the car before he had the chance to appeal."

Chris's barrister Richard Matthews told the VAT tribunal in London his
client's attempt to get his car back became "Kafkaesque." Customs were told
to pay costs and compensation.