Scott Halpin and me

John Hughes' entry entitled "An Interesting Website" concerned Scott Halpin and his night of fame at the Cow Palace back in 1973 and some dude named Brad who tried to get Scott to talk about it. However, Scott basically told him to get screwed, which is the way Scott desires it to be. As Scott told me last year, as we planed to see The Who in Chicago, "Even if I find a cure for cancer, I'm always going to be the guy who played drums for The Who." Indeed.

Halpin is an artist, and a damned good one, too...and he, his wife, and wonderful son, are living a life that is now long past that crazy day where Bill Graham threw him behind Keith's 16-piece drum set and said, "Can you do it?" Scott said, "Yeah," and the rest is history. In fact, the video tape of that night, shot for insurance purposes, shows they played more than just 3 songs, but who gives a shit? Scott told me the whole story as we planned a reunion of he, Pete, Roger, and Ox, for The Who's concert at Tinley Park on August 24, 2002.

The reunion went down as engineered, but, unfortunately Ox wasn't there. It was one of the greatest nights of my life...being in Pete's dressing room, then talking with Roger for 15 minutes in the inner sanctum of the backstage hallways...and I have the backstage pass...and the autographs...to prove it. Without the help of a wonderful red-headed P.A. of Pete's (who's name shall not be mentioned here), the whole gig would not have gone down. (Hell, I even met 3 wonderful ladies, who used to travel with Led Zeppelin, in the green room who regaled me with Keith Moon stories that will NEVER, EVER make it in the books....I laughed so hard I pulled a muscle in my rib cage....)

Being a lawyer for 23 years, I shook Pete's hand and looked into his eyes. I've represented them all and I can say, after all the shit that's gone down these last few months, that Pete Townshend is a good man. Of course, my meeting occurred before "the revelations," but his eyes betray a man who wants to left alone with his guitar and pen. Roger, on the other hand, is a riot, who's funny as hell and will talk to anybody.

Those two are the light & the dark, the fire and the water of The 'Oo and I met them both, with Scott Halpin in tow, on that hot Chicago night one year ago tonight, this 24th of August, 2003.

Scott and I got our autographs and left Tinley Park, he being a bit tattered with beer, but happy as hell seeing his mates again. The next evening, at Verizon Deer Creek in Noblesville, Indiana, I was lucky enough to get backstage again. I was working on my diary, recounting the previous night's escapade, when Simon Townshend came up and asked me what I was doing. Having spent many nights back there with John Mellencamp's entourage (John & I grew up together), I pretty much had the run of the place, knowing all the security personnel, I found a place to kick back and work on my diary before the show. Simon came out from the inner sanctum to look around and he found me writing in my journal, which apparenty interested him.

Simon & I spent over 30 minutes together talking about the tour, his own career, his brother Pete, and life in general. I showed him my diary entries, which made him laugh, and we basically talked like we'd known each other for years. Simon, too, is a wonderful, unpretentious person and I filled him in on the terrible traffic problems that plagued the Verizon venue. "If you guys are hoping to get out of here quickly," I told him," you'd better sucker the crowd into doing a second encore because you'll be two hours getting out of here even with police escorts. If not, the crowd will beat you outa here."

"Then will do a runner," Simon said. (A "runner" in English parlance is where you drink all night, run up the tab, then run like hell out of the pub without paying for the bill. A "runner" in music parlance is where the group plays like hell, keeping the crowd in their seats, then they run off the stage into their limos, then drive like hell out of the venue before the traffic jam becomes terrible.) "Thanks, Joe," Simon said and he left to get ready for the show.

And as the show wound down, The Who played their encore with the fury of God. I left and went backstage to see the limos and cars all lined up with the precision of an Army operation. I could hear Pete's stratocaster conclude and the roar of the crowd. All of a sudden, here they came: Pete, Rabbit, Roger, Zak, Simon....and Pino. They started to leave...until Pino had to answer the call of nature. As he was taking a piss, Pete yelled, "Come on," and Pino scrambled back in the van and off they went, driving like hell while I was laughing my ass off. I waved at Simon & he returned the wave....and The Who's gaggle of vans beat the traffic jam out of Deer Creek and they made it back to Chicago that night.

And, thus, that was my two nights with The Who and Scott Halpin, bless their souls.

Crazy Joe

8/24/03

The Who Mailing List Digest
Saturday, August 23 2003 Volume 10 : Number 255

In this issue:

Re: An interesting website
Keith's Soccer Balls; Minxes; To Snip or Not to Snip...?
Looking for Chris Sheppard
re: rog's voice getting stronger
Re: singing pete's songs
Re: Plant and Roger 2002