Jim Was Right

Well, as soon as I say the Pete scandal isn't a concern to Who/rock fans,
I meet someone who thinks Pete is indeed into kiddie porn but seems re-
lieved that he was "just looking" & "not actually touching."

I'm at a bar & my friend Gary comes in with a friend & says, "Hey, Schrade!
My friend Becky here was singing "Substitute" to me today!"

When I asked Becky (who I had never met before) why she was singing "Sub-
stitute" to Gary, she said they had been talking about society & class
structures, the poor & the wealthy.

"Ah," I said.  "I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth."

"Exactly," Becky says.  "That's why I started singing it."

We then began talking about what a genius Pete is & how he's written some
great rock music.  So, I figured this time I would bring up the scandal to
get this girl's opinion.

"Yeah, Pete's a great guy," I continue.  "As long as he stays off his com-
puter!"

To which Becky responded, "Right!  What's up with that?  That's pretty
scary."

"So, you think Pete's a pedophile then?"

"Oh, totally.  Come on,.....research?  Give me a break.  But at least he's
only *looking* on the computer & not actually *touching* any children."

I defended Pete the best I could, explaining ADB, & how I think he just
made a huge, naive mistake.  But I could tell by her expression she wasn't
buying it.

And I knew I had lost the battle when she tried to bolster her argument by
bringing up "that one song" - which turned out to be "Rough Boys."

<sigh>

Jim was right.  I guess there *are* still rock fans, & even Pete fans, who
think he's a pedophile, or at least has those tendencies.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors.
	- Thomas Huxley (1825 - 1895)