Subject: Sex scandals in the rock world

Brian...

>An interesting article focusing on the continued
>popularity of R. Kelly despite charges of owning child pornography and
having sex with an underage girl. There are some
>great points raised here about whether or not such charges have meaning
for fans.

This might not ring a warm and fuzzy bell for the political correctness
police, but to me, this is a perfect example of what I perceive to be a
very sharp double edged sword.  And it's a simple explanation too.

R. Kelley's fans are predominantely younger fans.  The rap/R&B crowd is
mainly - not entirely, but mainly composed of very hedonistic kids.  In
other words, dumb asses.  Whereas older and more worldly music fans,
like ourselves (broad cheesy smile) tend to have a wider view of the
world around us.

For example, the article hits the nail on the head in one section.  To
paraphrase, it says that Kelley's fans don't care about any sexual
misdeeds he may have committed as long as he continues putting out hits.

Conversely, an older rock fan understands the depth of such a crime and
cares more than these young dumb asses hip-hopping around.  Ask any of
your older rock fans what they think about Pete's scandal and you'll get
someone who doesn't approve.  Ever since Pete has been "cleared", I make
a point to mention that to anyone knowing my affiliation with The Who.
UNIVERSALLY - every person above the age of 30 I've talked to about Pete
has rolled their eyes and mentioned O.J. Simpson; the unanimous opinion
is money can get you out of anything.  Everyone still thinks he's guilty
but he weaseled out of it.

R Kelley age group?  Kelly's a hit machine!

Pete Townshend age group?  Pete's a sicko pedophile.

That's a damn shame and most certainly not fair.  Yet another reason for
me to hate rap and R&B even more...  But it begs the question:  How can
a man who unabashedly breaks the child porn/contact laws (R Kelly)
escape justice when a man who's crusaded against it (Pete Townshend) has
his reputation ruined?  Both have been accused of basically the same
thing, but one is crushed while one thrives?  Is anyone as sick of this
screwed up society as I am???

Jim in Colorado