Re: AQO live and money

Really? You too? I prefer the Live at Leeds remaster.Jim M:The LAL version is great, but theres something about the RnR Circus version that I like better. And, to be clear, the TKAA soundtrack version, not the Stones soundtrack of the event (which sounds a bit weaker for some reason).>There's also a video out there. Hartford, Connecticut 199........6?Kevin:

Theres several videos out there, including a pro shot from the 1997 tourdont recall the venue. If they were to release Quad on DVD then Id be torn between one of the MSG shows (which had Phil Daniels live on stage as Jimmy) and a show from the following year, which had better performances but a tape instead. If thats the case, Id suggest the Raleigh show (thats assuming they have a choice!) because they were spot on and did more encore songs than any other show of the tour.

>painting it as an indictment against the State Department, not the entireThe State Department was appointed by Boy Bush. Newt is saying what Dashell was called a traitor for saying. Lets see how even-handed the right is.>Nobody just lately, but that doesn't indicate cause and effect. It works Lela:

We can only work with the information we have.>either the band sends in some demos and gets and offer as The only way it works is if an A&R person from a label gets behind the band.>BTW, didn't I read last year that Internet download had generated its first radio hit?If so, and you cant remember the band, how successful was it?

> It's true that "Pinball Wizard" is fun as a single, but TOMMY
is about as easy to download these days.Not really. If we didnt have the CD to go by, who would know what order the songs are supposed to be in? And would they get Underture, Welcome, etc. etc.?

>Maybe. I suspect there a ton of live material circulating that's not on
official cds at all.Live material is different. If the labels chose not to release something, its fair game.

>But file sharing supports an artist the same way. No, every single CD I sell was purchased A file was purchased once, downloaded 1000 times.>When someone shares the
file, they're supporting the artist by promoting his or her work.How does it help if no one buys the music?>Not from file sharing, but then how much do artists make from radio play? Ah! Gotcha! How does the band get the song on the radio without a promoter?>There might be a way I can see asking Internet providers to pay a small fee
the same way clubs and radio stations do to pay artist royalties.It hasnt worked yet.

> >like radio or whatever. I notice that large capacity storage devices
>advertise lots of space for your mp3 collection.
>
>But again, MP3s sound like a cheap radio.

Shn is better. As capacity and bandwidth increase, the quality will
increase.

>What the artists get from the record company is not a free and clear Neither is a business loan.>If the band doesn't
make enough in sales to cover the costs of making and promoting the album,
then they owe their advance plus the uncovered costs back to the record Thats like starting a business with a loan and not making it, except you WOULD still owe the moneyand thats different.>You can consider it a loan--that's a fair analogy--but why do you think it
doesn't have to be paid back? Do you think record labels would make up
contracts this way?Its not a choice, but they cant get the money from someone who has none.>and the record companies write them off as a loss, but debtors are still
expected to pay back what they owe.They dont, though.

>But the record labels have no incentive to keep costs down if the artist is
paying.I dont see how they can control what recording studios charge, Billboard wants for their ads, travel costs etc. etc. etc.>Plus, they might get the urge to engage in some creative
accounting. The debate is complex enough without speculation about what might happen. So could the band. So could the manager. So could your Aunt Mae.>I followed up with the music stats.Doesnt matter. They dont make "billions profit," as I said.

> There are several possible uses for profit, one of which is paying
stockholders. Is that what you mean?Yes. You dont know how much each investor might get. How many people have Sony stock?

>Most artists can get together enough cash for a small cd venture. It's just
that no one can expect to start off really big without an audience to
support them-And the only way to get the audience is for them to be promoted, which they cannot afford to do on their own!>more. If you're a band planning to expand in a big way with venture
capital, then you should know the risks up front.THAT is why you get a lawyer!

>I still think this is return on investment the labels are complaining about,
and not actual cash.Again, if they make a profit theyre more inclined to take a chance with new and different talent. So how is that a bad thing? Why dont you want them to make a profit??? If Townshend hadnt make a profit, how many albums would we have gottensame thing!>Risk isn't the same thing as product. Britney Spears is product.She was a risk. No one could guarantee shed sell. Shes a risk now, because shes not selling anymore. If they make a new album for her, its a risk.

>Nah. Their idea of what can make money is 'NSync and Miss Britney Spears.Not anymore, and even so there was a time when it was Frankie Avalon and Troy Donahue. And we did OK.

>The individual members still owe it, and there are methods of collection. No, Lela, they dont have to pay. Oh, they might get dunned for the moneybut it ends up costing the label more than they can get from some guy working as a painter.>Tax deductions might not be money in
your pocket, but they can be used to an advantage.No one I know of can stay in business just getting tax deductions.

>I thought it was Latin music. Two years ago>I think this depends on what brand of CD-R you're using.Possibly.

"I can kill 'cause in God I trust/It's evolution, baby "
                               Eddie Vedder

                 Cheers             ML