The Demise of The Who?

Lately the talk about the demise of The Who, their legacy, the last tour, and
a possible future has made for some interesting exchanges from the Kids
lately.  Discussions of intelligence, arguments fraught with passion, anger
and joy.  Feelings of adventure from the loyal follower who went to a shitload
of shows this tour, and on the other hand, a sad sense of good bye from
another poster who feels the loss of something deep.  Whatever's happened in
WhoLand lately, it's been heavy.

Exuberant and hopeful devotees in the Spring; our beloved band was warming up
for a tour and there was a vibrant buzz coming out of the basecamp that we
might actually get some NEW music in the near future too.  Then the awful loss
of John Entwistle.  The Who, despite savage criticism from fans and foes
alike, respond by the Roger Daltery and Peter Townshend Balls to the Wall
Show.  They gave it their all and had fun doing it.  The show went on, with a
vengeance.

The real star or the tour was the guitar player with the schnozz.  Whenever
Pete Townshend has a fire lit under him, he's untouchable in the realm of
guitar gods.  I've seen him inspired a few times, but most times he was very
placid.  However, a month ago, that man put on the greatest display of guitar
playing I have seen in years - by anyone.  I don't feel I have to vindicate my
"rock experience" because my experience isn't your experience; this is my
opinion of my experience.  And in my experience, I've seen some of the all
time guitar greats.  SRV, Buddy Guy, Steve Howe, Bob Mould, Clapton, Richards,
Davies, etc, etc...  Pete never stood in the pantheon of my live music
experience, simply because he wasn't totally into it - until last month.  And
all I can say is, I HOPE I can watch him play more.  If he and Roger want to
call it The Who or not.  But it's not The Who anymore is it?

Not since the huge loss that was The Ox.  Whatever it was, or whatever its
become, there's still a guy named Peter Townshend who has shown me that he's
got a fire in his belly to do something.  Not to mention the "little singer"
who still knows how to sing a song even if his voice isn't as lethal as it
once was.  And whatever it is, it hasn't happened yet.  So I'll wait and I'll
listen to my Who boots, and I'll always wonder what it was like to see them
when Keith was alive, and I'll wait some more, and I'll grow older and I'll
still come back to The Who.  Some how, some way.  Anyway, anyhow, anywhere.
And maybe they'll go on tour again, maybe they'll release an album.  Maybe
they'll retire.  Maybe they'll just live in my head and my heart.  Whatever,
The Who is certainly not dead; not what it used to be, but not dead my
friends, not dead at all.  "They're not the same.  You're not the same."  And
so it goes.

There's two dynamic individuals from that 'what it used to be' who seem to
have this chip on their shoulders.  Something to prove, despite their age, as
if it makes any difference.  Yeah, I don't think we've seen the last of old
Roger and Pete, and I for one am going to make damn sure I don't miss it when
they come back.  I say "when".  I gotta feeling...  It's been called
"justifying one's attendance" here, and if that's how some folks feel about
it, all the power to them.  That's at least one less ticket I have to compete
with to attend the show.  Their loss, not mine.

I've recently read too that it's been called "falling in the party line that
the band can do no wrong" if you express the greatness of this last tour as
you saw it.  For some the Emperor has no clothes, but for others we were
treated to majestic performances by our musical Heroes.  1/2 of our Heroes is
still better than anything else I've had to choose from, so why not?  That's
why were here, that's why there's still optimism, and that's why there's still
hope for a future in WhoLand.  And there's sadness too.

That's why we also have folks here who feel a loss.  For them, the ride is
over and what a sweet ride it was.  But it is over, and something has been
lost.  There's been some real, passion filled posts where you can feel the
pain of losing a loved one.  Not just John Entwistle, but The Who entirely.
Very real loss.

Which brings this salad to a close.  The Who is personal.  VERY personal to
each one of us.  When things are that personal, no one person is going to sum
it all up, one person isn't going to celebrate it, and one person isn't going
to criticize it, without a gauntlet of other people who feel something
different, and very personal.  It's MY Who, but it's your Who too.  It's OUR
Who collectively, but it's Thee Who to each one of us.  Nobody can change that
no matter how hard they try.  It's just that personal.

And personally, if the Englewood show is the last time I'll ever see "The Who"
- what a show it was.  More take more...more take more...give me some more.

Jim in Colo Springs