Re: Roger's voice at Shoreline

In a message dated 10/11/2002 3:02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:
> Mc:> > Perhaps you missed it, but I also said it's different when you're at the show. You don't hear the mistakes, as Scott said. For myself, I cited Raleigh 1989 and what I thought at the show was a great version of My Generation, which turned out to be merely OK when heard objectively from the tape. The difference is the energy from the audience, the atmosphere. But > cold hard facts are just that...facts.
Is the recording you got of Shoreline an audience boot or a board recording?  Acoustics at ampitheatres are tricky for audience recordings, as you probably know.  What I do know is that I listened very carefully for specific things in regard to the quality of Roger's pipes on a given night.  If he is rough sounding on standard notes well within his range, a la MG or Substitute or Can't Explain, I couldn't possibly care less.  It is rock and roll, and Roger has always had a scratchy quality to his voice.  Just watch IOW.  It is a classic rock voice.  I specifically listen for Bargain high notes, 5.15 overall (tough as shit song), Baba O high notes in first verse (these he will never be able to hit like he did at Shepperton version, but then again, who could?), LROM screams, and WGFA scream.  He met all these criteria at Shoreline with high marks, but as I said before, didn't at Sacramento the very next night... nor at Gorge two nights later, and the energy at the Gorge was palpable.  Pete smashed a guitar, for christ's sake.  I don't think the crowd or the moment influenced me.  Live recordings are unreliable, especially audience ones.  For example, the high notes from the 1971 SF Bargain version released by the Who on the box sound very weak.  I hardly think in 71 Roger would struggle too bad with that.  I can even hit that note most days, and I am a rank amateur.  I know what I heard.  I want them to release that show as they have the others so I can judge for myself.
mc