Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #281

I think Kurt Cobain, was a musician who was repulsed by stardom and didn't want to be "main stream".

Johanna:

That poor baby. Poor little rich boy. Didn't want to be a Rock star. I have 0% sympathy for him.

they had a heart condition, doing coke would kill them. But, if a person,
who has the so called "monkey on his back," does not think that way.

Hey, I understand...but could John possibly been addicted? If so, I'd think he would have been dead long ago.

Yeah, I had the same thought too, especially since it was Pete that said it.

Jon:

(a chill goes down the back)

figured that I better not start! I did not ever smoke and I am not addicted

I did smoke cigarettes for years. And escaped unscathed, thank the big G. But the point here is: I did quit the single most addictive thing because I knew it would kill me. Oh, that and a bit of guilt about exposing my infant daughter to the smoke helped.

addicted. I understand this. I am married to a heroin addict. I love her

Jon, I'm speechless. You have all my sympathy, and my support. What a thing to have to contend with.

I dunno. The man was in a whole world of hurt. I think the prospect of
leaving "Moon The Loon" behind was too much to bear.

Kevin:

Perhaps. But that is rather...infantile. Immature. We change, we grow, and we can't fight it.

That's what makes this all so strange to me. I just don't get it.
Why was he "asking for it"?

I can't see it.

The never changing set-list has got me bored, and will disgrace them if they
continue with just more hits. If there is a continuation of some sort, it
*HAS* to be new.

I'm with you 100%.

It's fun to analyze a tour.

Not only that, but if we're unable to compare shows, albums, songs, events, other bands...what the HELL are we going to talk about???

Part of me feels this way, but the other part of me feels that I do not
want to be a die-hard fan of anything that plays it safe.

Joe:

Hey, I'm with you here...but playing the same tired old set list without the ability to jam on it because the new guy will get lost is playing it safe IMHO. I'm listening to Detroit as I write this, BTW. It just came through the door via UPS. Fourth song (WAY) and so far it's note for note. I'll give you a full review tomorrow when I've had a chance to listen on my good (home) stereo.

I dig that! They don't give a shit about their legacy. They believe
in leaving it on the stage.

I DO care about their legacy. They've always been the band who didn't do what the others do...now they ARE. That takes away part of the magic. And for the record, the magic I find most interesting about them.

There is no disgrace here, just nobility.

Maybe. I didn't say they'd disgraced themselves. But it doesn't appear too noble either, at least at the moment, with a reportedly hot show in my CD player.

If you love music, check us out on the
                 web: www.secondgenerationscds.com

                             Cheers              ML