post-tour musings

Hi. My name is Andy.

Ive been receiving the digest version of this list since the beginning
of the recent tour - largely as a means of tracking useful info and
opinions. So first, thanks to all who contributed! And now I thought Id
give something back - a few of my opinions and observations.

First, the Who were amazing on this tour (news flash, eh?). Maybe Pete
was angry, I dont know - but he sure was energized. He did things he
hasnt done in years. I chalk up the unbelievable 2002 sound to a
combination of things -
 - Petes back to playing electric exclusively
 - Petes THE guitarist (he had significant help in 89, 96 and 97)
 - 99-00 was their first return to being a bar band (plus keyboards) -
maybe that was a warm-up (?)
 - Zaks amazing energy and ability
 - song selection (capped by the greatest finale ever written)
 - they probably felt, why go out and go through the motions? If were
gonna do it . . .

Its amazing that a band could lose the greatest base player in the world
and still perform at the level they did. Astounding! To me, thats a
testament to Townshends music and ability. He drives the sound. I know,
I know, bass and drums drive the sound - but he gives them the engine,
then he helps them crank it up! And crank it up they did. (Pino deserves
nothing but praise. No one is John. He was more than adequate!)

I saw 5 shows on this tour - Camden, Hershey, Noblesville, Holmdel, &
Toronto (Im tired of the corporate names) - a pretty good cross section.
My subjective impression is that the best were Camden, Holmdel, and
Toronto (though no complaints about the others). I say subjective
impression because I think most fans (and reviewers, for that matter) are
mistaken if they believe they can objectively compare shows. Every fan is
under the influence of a variety of subjective factors that we usually
fail to consider, except in passing.

I learned a long time ago that shows (for most bands) are pretty
consistent from night to night. There are minor variations, unique
moments, and some may truly be better or worse than others, but the
average fan isnt in a position to tell. Theoretically, the more shows
one goes to the better one should be at making fine discriminations, but
we almost always overlook the personal factors that impact our
perceptions. These include seat location (distance from the stage),
amount of alcohol (or other drugs) consumed, expectations going in,
familiarity with the music (less of an issue when comparing multiple
shows on the same tour), familiarity with the band/personnel/recent band
activities, and the general physical (tired?), emotional (psyched?
bored?), and social (companions?) state that particular evening.

Ill address a couple of these factors - and how they affected me this
tour.

Seat location.
Distance from the stage is important  as most people realize (I always
sit close). But there are other aspects to seat location. For Camden and
Holmdel I sat 18 and 24 rows from the stage, dead center. The sound was
perfect  balanced, crisp and loud. In Toronto I was off the front corner
of the stage  very loud and therefore memorable.

In Hershey and Noblesville I was much closer - close enough to see when
Pete would break a string (2nd and 4th rows center). But I was inside
the speakers and the sound just wasnt the same (or as loud). Great
shows, great view, but I prefer to be back just a bit. Also, in those
outdoor pavilion venues you cant see whats going on with the rest of
the audience (lawn seats) from any of those seats, even if you turn
around to see (which I do). But in Toronto up on the side I had a better
feel for the crowd (and in Hershey to some extent, because of the stadium
layout  even though I was in the second row).

Expectations going in.
Sky-high expectations frequently diminish someones enjoyment of the
event - because it usually cant live up to the fantasy. I try to control
my expectations (about the set list, rumors about special guests, etc.)
and then I always have a great show. Two stories -

First story - when McCartney FIRST toured solo (early 90s?) a friend
(huge Beatles fan) got his tix and talked about the show for weeks. I
scalped a pair at the door and sat close. He sat in the rafters and was
hoping to see a reincarnation. I went expecting a nice show. The day
after (and even now) I had more positive memories of that show than he
did. Strange but true.

Second story - I took a young friend (about 24) to the Camden show. We
were both blown away with how hot they sounded. Here's the e-mail he sent
me the next day:
"Andy,
If I failed to express my appreciation the other night, please let me
restate how much fun I had Saturday and once again thank you for
the experience. Without a doubt, The Who is the greatest R&R
band of all time -- I didn't realize that until the other night, but it's
true."

Now, he knows I go to see a lot of other bands - in fact, Bruce was
coming up in less than 2 weeks. He wasn't interested. On the way home he
asked me  how do you go to see anyone else after what we just saw? The
answer - manage your expectations!

What I love about the Who is that I don't really have to scale back my
expectations. (It was nice to know in advance that Roger's voice might be
sub-par in Toronto, but it didn't matter to me. My only real
disappointment of the whole tour was Pete's relatively uninspired "I'm
One" that replaced Eminence Front on a few shows late in the tour -
including Holmdel - great song, but it lacked the clarity and the sheer
balls it had in 96-97.)

I go to Who shows with more confidence than when I go to any other band -
because even an average show is head-and-shoulders above every other live
sound I've experienced. I go to Who shows expecting to see the greatest
performing band in the world. Between tours I speak so highly of them
that I begin to doubt that they could really be that different than the
Stones, Zep, Floyd, Bruce, U2, REM, Phish, - you name the band. Then I
see them the next tour and 15 minutes into the show the awesome power
that is the Who reassures me that I wasnt simply growing the legend in
my mind - they really ARE that good!

Enjoyed all your comments over the last couple months (I could do w/o the
sniping and complaining).

Andy
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
I don't matter, you don't matter, neither does this mindless clatter
It don't matter where you're from - what matters is your uniform.

I am frightened, you are frightened - should we get our trousers
tightened?
Where in Brighton is your norm who wears enlightened uniform?

I am really living life inside a jar - I'm all alone
So I feel forgiven if I'm under par - a fallen clone
Only in the river can I claim a star to call my own
I'm newly born, in uniform, I'm up on the throne!
- Pete Townshend (Uniforms)
T. Andrew Finn