[no subject]

...[The Roskilde tragedy] gave Vedder perspective on
the dilemma facing the Who when the band decided to
soldier on in recent months even though bassist John
Entwistle died of a heart attack on the eve of a
national tour. Vedder may not be the world's biggest
Who fan, but he's probably the most famous. For nearly
a decade, he has been telling anyone who would listen
that the Who's coming-of-age rock opera Quadrophenia
was the album that helped him through a difficult
adolescence.

"How do you make God laugh? You make plans for
tomorrow," Vedder says. "I thought the day John
passed, that was it. I wasn't just mourning John, I
was mourning the fact that I'd never see them play
live again. But they kept going, and didn't lose much
of their stride. Instead of going home, they played
on, which enabled them to process it as a group, a
family of people, which they are, including the crew.

"It was healthy for them to process it that way,
rather than sit in a corner of a room that doesn't
feel like it's got a floor to it. I understand the
people who criticize them for going on. But ultimately
it's their choice, and the fact that they went out and
used the music to process it with the fans, I thought
it was a courageous option."...

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!