Re: 2000 Tour vs 2002 tour - Rock, Paper Scissors

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:30:49 -0500
From: Joe Lewinski <lewinski@icanon.com>

Pete is the scissors.
Roger is the paper.
John is the rock.
Interesting but I'm not sure this strictly works. Does Pete really dominate Roger, who dominated John, who dominated Pete? So far, the tripod analogy is the best I can think of.

At the Camden preshow I met a man named Terry at Hanks.
Terry had a bunch of John photos that he had taken over the years.
He was firmly in the John camp, and  probably would
have been back-stage with John on this tour had
John still been alive.   This really hit me hard as I realized that there
were probably countless people from every city that would have
normally had Who access on this tour if John were still alive.

I'm sure that when you strongly throw your support to one member
and form a friendship you are considered to be one of *their* people.
I am interested to know whether John's people were still welcome
in the camp, or whether they were cut off.

Any thoughts on this?   Alan?
You mention "the camp" as if it were one thing, a group of people all connected to "The Who" in one big camp. There are some people who know each of TED personally and are thus in that group, but there are are also "camps" of people who only knew one of them -- relatives, personal friends, business associates, etc. -- and sets of people who are close (for whatever reason) to any two of them.

From my limited knowledge, people who were truly in the "John only" camp, with little or no contact with Pete, Roger, Trinifold, etc. probably _are_ a bit cut off, not from any malice but just because that's the way humans structure their relationships. An example that comes to mind are the owners/operators of Walnut Street Gallery, who sold John's art. They had little or no connection (that I know of) to other members of The Who or their management before they started working with John, and no particular reason to keep up with the remnants of The Who now that he's gone. It's beyond expectations that Roger, Pete, Trinifold etc. would seek out everyone John knew personally and be sure that they still had backstage access. But if they only knew John, one has to wonder what the point of backstage access would be now, anyway, beyond a drink in the hospitality area.

Another point is that, even if John were alive, his "close circle" wouldn't necessarily have "Who access" anyway, in terms of visiting Pete or Roger backstage. People who had "Who access" before John's death likely still have it...those who had "John access" only, don't have it (and how ... :-( ).

It's all moot as far as Terry's concerned, anyway...he was banned forever from Roger's dressing room during the '70s as the result of a prank gone bad involving a cat, firecrackers and a water balloon. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Alan
R. I. P. Ox