Re: Beatlemania

-----Mensagem Original-----
De: "John Hughes" <john@pureneasy.fsnet.co.uk>
Para: <TheWho@igtc.com>
Enviada em: Terga-feira, 7 de Maio de 2002 14:19
Assunto: Re: Beatlemania

> Ernie, re
>
> > > like i've said, if it wasn't for the who, there
would never be a
> > > Jimi Hendrix
>
> Umm, got to disagree with you here, I've seen
nothing that indicates
> that Hendrix was in any way *personally* inspired by
The Who.

Hendrix, IMO, was in fact inspired by The Who.
If not musically, for sure in equipment, loudness,
guitar feedback technics, PA, mass sound, stage acts,
etc. If I'm not wrong, it was in Monterrey that
Hendrix, after seeing The Who, 've got the idea of
burning his guitar, instead only breaking it. Moon
would have said when saw Hendrix burns his guitar:
Shit! Why don't we have this idea! And, besides, the
company label for Who and JHE was the same, and they
played the same festivals all over the world.

> I doubt that he'd really heard the Who *except* as a
quirky singles band
> on his travels in the chitlin circuit during 1965
and 1966. It was there
> he developed the stage act which he used later in a
rock/jazz setting of
> the JHE. His talent was seemingly just in him.
>
> In fact, I also seem to remember reading that Chas
Chandler was inspired
> by Cream to set up the 3 piece Jimi Hendrix
Experience. And there is no
> way Clapton Bruce and Baker were inspired by the
Who!

Cream, JHE and The Who, IMO, were the best rock bands
of the 60's, perhaps of all times. They were inspired
by each other, and certainly by Jazz too. They were
the fine example of the vanguard in jazz/rock acts,
each of them with a particularity - Cream was clean,
JHE based on Hendrix abilities, and The Who in the
dialog between rhythm guitar, bass and drums, all of
them alternating harmony and soloing, but more based
on the song's structure.

> > > nor a led zeppelin, nor heavy metal, nor hard
rock, nor classic
> > > rock, nor acid rock, nor punk rock!
>
> And again I've got to disagree with you here. The
Who were a singles pop
> band as far as the public were concerned up to
Pinball Wizard. When I
> saw the Who in 1968 they were most avowedly typical
of bands of the era
> who'd had chart success; they played lots of
singles, a few covers, and
> a few self penned no singles songs. I don't remember
the whole set list,
> but I remember (in no particular order
>
> Heaven and Hell
> Fortune Teller
> Pictures of Lily
> Tattoo
> I'm a boy
> Relax
> Substitute
> Summertime blues
> Boris the Spider
> Happy Jack
> I can't explain
> My Generation
> A Quick One
>
> What distinguished them from the rest of the chart
bands (please again
> remember my British perspective) was the quirky,
witty and relatively
> mature subject matter of their singles - okay, the
Louie Louie rip off
> accepted:-) which was only matched by the Kinks, who
were for me the
> great unrecognised British band of the mid '60's.
>
> It strikes me that the Who developed after I can see
for miles (in
> Pete's eyes) flopped, and he began to take the band
into a harder, more
> "rock" oriented direction, bringing more extended
jams into the live
> show for example.

You are quite right on this, but I like to add
something. Even before The Who starting his jams into
the live in '68 and after, they were a lot of "rock"
oriented. To prove this is necessary only hear BBC
Session, and others cds from '65-'66 era, specially
Summertime Blues, that was transformed by the
geniality of the horrible 'oo in the prototype of a
"rock" song (how different it is from the original
version from Cochram?! it's amazing!), My Generation,
that from the early beggining it always had
improvisation in his ending, a type of proto-jam that
inspired all the rock scene, including JHE and Cream,
of course, and Relax, with a lot of improvisation too.

> As for there being no such thing as Led Zeppelin
until the Who, what do
> you think Jimmy Page was doing in the Yardbirds for
goodness' sake? He
> was outjamming Pete, out soloing Pete and in general
terms out
> innovating Pete in the months before the Yardbirds
imploded into Led
> Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin came from the opening done by Who, JHE
and Cream, that is obvious! The same with Deep Purple
and Black Sabath. The three ones quoted are the holy
trinity from Heavy Metal, and who cares about it!
Heavy Metal is a pop rotule used by alienated youth,
that wants to shake his heads and hear march beat
reinforced by bass - tum, tum, tum - what a shit!

> Dazed and confused, complete with violin bow solo on
guitar was a staple
> of their live show for months before Led Zep.
>
> As for heavy metal, come on. The MC5, if anyone is
were the progenitors
> of the style we recognise as Heavy metal.
>

> The Who were and are unique. They neither created
genres of music nor
> followed the herd. That's my opinion, whether you
want to challenge them
> or not is fair enough.

You are right, but by the wrong arguments... They are
unique and created genres of music, because they were
the vanguard. And vanguard do that, creates passages
to others.

> Cheers,
>
> John

Yahoo! Encontros
O lugar certo para vocj encontrar aquela pessoa que falta na sua vida. Cadastre-se hoje mesmo!
http://br.encontros.yahoo.com/