Re: "Nu-CU-lar Man"

> If you find time please read Bill Bryson's  book "Mother Tongue" which
> is quite an amusing and intelligent book on the subject.

Thanks for the recommendation.  And I recommend to you H.L. Mencken's
"The American Language."

> > > & many imposed "rules" are only attempts to make the masses speak in
> > > manner conforming to something called "Standard English," which in
> > > reality does not exist.
>
> I'm afraid it does, in its pure form.

Mencken's book recounts dozens of attempts by both English & American
intellectuals who tried to aggresively impose what they believed to be the cor-
rect rules of their respective languages.  The lucky ones had some of these rules
survive while most were ignored by the masses.

My point is that language, English & American English, is too varied for there
to exist one dialect which can be called "standard."  Even more absurd is the
thought that one should strive to emulate that dialect in order to attain some
sort of perceived perfection in speaking & writing.

> English is such a difficult language - but one capable of great beauty - that it
> needs grammatical rules to maintain itself.

But these "rules" continue to die, modify themselves, or see new ones created