Re: Scalpers & Grammys

> > This is what Mark and I were arguing about a while back.  Irish or
>African?
>
>A combination of the two, really. The Blues are mostly from spirituals sang
>by slaves in the fields, which in turn came from African music. You can
>hear it in Gospel, the call and response. If you have seen the movie Roots,
>you can see a fine example of the transition when Fiddler has Kunte in the
>wagon: "What's that sitting in the tree?" "Bird, Fiddler, bird sitting in
>the tree..."
However, Folk came from British Minstrel music. And roots Bluegrass is from
both.

I'm not talking about ROOTS.  I'm talking about O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU and
the white gospel they sing at the Church in the Wildwood back in hollows of
the South US.  There are a couple of songs in the OBWAT that sound like
they're derived from the Blues, but mostly not, as far as my ears can
discern.  Take those couple out and tell me, does it sound African or Irish?

keets