Re: Scalpers & Grammys

> >What gives a person the right to buy all the bread in a store at 99cents,
> >and then turning around and selling it at $4 a loaf to a bunch of starving
> >people??
>
> As before, economic freedom.  What PREVENTS this from happening is
> economic reality.

Alan:

It's really not that uncommon. After hurricane Hugo hit this area in 1989,
ice was $20 a bag and home repairs cost about 5 times what they normally
would. Finally they had to make a law about price gouging, but of course
"gouging" is a relative term. So don't think it can't happen...it does all of
the time.

> The 'O Brother' medley was wonderful.  Isn't it called American Roots Music

Jeff:

Too bad the album came out two years ago and it was up for last year's
Grammy. Then again, how many times will U2 be up for awards for the one (also
released in 2000) album? The Grammys are shit.
But yes, that's what they call it.

> This is what Mark and I were arguing about a while back.  Irish or African?

Keets:

A combination of the two, really. The Blues are mostly from spirituals sang
by slaves in the fields, which in turn came from African music. You can hear
it in Gospel, the call and response. If you have seen the movie Roots, you
can see a fine example of the transition when Fiddler has Kunte in the wagon:
"What's that sitting in the tree?" "Bird, Fiddler, bird sitting in the
tree..."
However, Folk came from British Minstrel music. And roots Bluegrass is from
both.

      ''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe
            and what I believe-I believe what I believe is right."
                          George "I know what I mean" Bush

                      Cheers                        ML