My afternoon with John

Folks,

Back in the late 1970's I was one of the buyers for the national chain of
record stores called Peaches.  I transferred out to LA in January, 1977 from
the store in Atlanta.  Once I got to know the label reps I let the MCA guy
know how big a Who fan I was and that anything he could help me with would
ensure statues erected in his honor!

One day in 1978 I got a call from him in my office that he was taking John
Entwistle shopping at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. and I could come along
and meet them there.  I got of early and drove up there and me them.  He
introduced me to John (who I had met in 1971 after the Atlanta show along
with the rest of the band) and we then spent the next couple hours going over
records, talking music, etc.  I was interested in what John was buying and
quite amazed that it included a decent amount of disco records!!!!!  He also
bought the Music Minus One set for bass guitar (these were records with music
recorded minus the instrument you played).

We talked about the then punk movement in Britain, the Sex Pistols, etc.   I
tried to get him to buy the first Nick Lowe LP but he was not interested.

At the checkout counter I asked him if he still, in fact, had any Highnumbers
45's (which at that phase of my Who collecting I had yet to obtain - I later
got two of them).  He said he had half a dozen or so.  So I pulled out my
checkbook, made a check out to John Entwistle and asked him what amount I
should fill in?  He smiled and said he was hanging on to them (he seemed to
be the only guy in The Who that colelcted or archived their musical
heritage).  So I was shot down by the Ox!

It was a great afternoon and one that I will never forget.  I was amazed at
what he bought, how much variety of music he enjoyed, how pleasant a man he
was and how unassuming he could be.  Just a very nice guy who did not seem to
mind me hanging out with him (thanks to the MCA guy that had prepped him it
seems) as I did not act like a fawning goof while we were together.  Our
little relationship was simply all about our mutual love for music - which
most musicians can well relate to.

I saw the Who 19 times from 1970 through 1989.  I have seen over 600 bands
onstage - and I never saw a more amazing bass player than John Entwistle!!!!

Greg Biggs/CVC Collectables
www.cvccollect.com