[no subject]

Bass player joins The Who tour

A internationally-renowned Welsh bass player has been
called in as a substitute for The Who following the
sudden death of band member John Entwistle.

Pino Palladino, 44, from the Whitchurch area of
Cardiff, took over for the rescheduled opening night
of the band's three-month US tour on Monday following
a call from the lead guitarist of the band Pete
Townshend.

John Entwistle died aged 57, from a suspected heart
attack on 27 June - a day before the legendary British
rock group were due to start their tour.

Despite his death, the remaining band members will
continue the tour with Mr Palladino playing bass
guitar - dedicating the performances as a tribute to
their friend.

Mr Palladino' s brother Marc manages the family's
Italian restaurant in Cardiff.

"He had a call from Pete Townshend asking if he could
help out," said Mr Palladino.

"Pino just cancelled everything he had lined up to do
the tour.

"This is such a big thing he is doing and we are all
so proud of him for it."

Mr Palladino is well known in musical circles and has
worked with top musical acts including Elton John,
Eric Clapton, Paul Young and Phil Collins among
others.

He played at the star-studded Queen's Golden Jubilee
concert in June.

"This is the first tour Pino has taken on in quite a
while - he has been doing a lot of studio work in
America," added Mr Palladino.

"But the family are full of pride for him and have
been since he started.

"We have always been a musical family - I play the
drums and we used to practice together.

"He was lucky enough to get the break he needed and
has worked with some of the biggest names in the
business.

"The family are so glad he was able to help out after
the sad death of John Entwistle," he added.

Lead guitarist of The Who, Pete Townshend, announced
that Mr Palladino would play with the band through his
website.

"He (Pino Palladino) agreed immediately to step in to
this difficult post. He is a gentleman and a
professional," said Mr Townshend.

"We talked a little about his role here, and I made it
clear we do not expect him to attempt to emulate,
parody or copy John Entwistle in any way.

"Pino is a master in his own way, but the one request
I made was that - at first - he play as loud as he can
bear," he added.

--
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!