Re: Who influenced blah blah blah

20 years ahead of their time?!

Scott:

Why not (not a Heinlein reference)? I listen to them, and I hear Techno. It seems to me you want exact note for note or you won't accept it as an influence. Well, that's a bit too much to ask. That's not what an "influence" involves.

Techno.  Techno makes me think of thumping dance music.

That's what you get for thinking. There's lots of different kinds of Techno.

Not sure, I drive a Stratus.

My sympathies. I have a Strat.

Actually, I think it all goes back to Buddy Holly & the Crickets.

Listen to some T. Rex and you'll see exactly what I mean. Besides, Buddy Holly was a poor man's Eddie Cochran.

"Bowie's boring." Scott Schrade

"People try to put us down..."

You know, that's another thing.  I don't hear any Who influence in Zep-
pelin.

Yeah? Ever listened to Whole Lotta Love? And yes, I know it was originally a Muddy Waters song called You Need Love, ripped off and renamed by P&P...but there's a whole lotta Who in there (not a whole lotta Rosie). Good Times Bad Times. Tangerine is Sunrise with an electric lead. And so on, and so forth. If you had Cabala you'd hear Zep play Shaking All Over. THERE is an exact (but inferior) copy!

4-piece?  Robert Plant's hair?

There IS that, too. I mean, how many coincidences am I supposed to accept? Page has always had a hard on for The Who, ever since Pete refused to let him play lead on I Can't Explain.

The Who may have inspired people to *create* a band but really, Who
sounds like The Who?  No one, that's who.  There is no substitute.

OK, I can see you're looking for exact copies. But that's not what I mean. And if you can't hear it in The Jam, then you're not listening. They sound like The Who live, period. Sabbath was a power chord band, and WHO started using power chords? And so on, and so forth.

Pity they couldn't "keep it up."

Who can? Who has? Even The Who didn't. Let's not get caught up in a Face Dances debate. And remember, PJ is working with a recycle...

<yawn>

Ah, I see. You haven't heard it.

That's the *only* comparison you can make.

It's the only one I NEED to make! There are Pop bands, like The Beatles, and there are Blues bands, like The Stones, but The Who were the FIRST *ROCK* band and all who came after owe them the debt! Besides, you know me well enough to know I can make ENDLESS comparisons if I wanted to. Let's put it this way: I've NEVER failed an essay question...

 But that can be said about tons of Rock bands.

Yep.

  A loud guitar through a Marshall stack doesn't

Now, let's see...who was the first band to use a Marshall? Oh, right, The Who was the first band to use a Marshall.

make me think of The Who.  Song structure, subject matter, & lyrical
intelligence must also be taken into account.  And sadly that's where
other bands fall well short.

That's why The Who are the best. But only ONE band can be best. Then you have degrees of it, going downhill. I mean, that IS the definition of "best," is it not? BTW the subject matter of Jam songs does have similarities to Townshend's. And Ray Davies' as well.

to believe that they're attempting to reach a certain level with their
music - that higher level I spoke of.

I used to have high expectations too. But then Rock music began recycling...

Again, you seem to be implying that all it takes is
a loud, raw guitar & *bingo,*

It's not just that. There is a chaotic quality to that music, where it's the guitar drums and bass all jamming, all together but all separate, creating this huge organic enveloping sound that goes beyond what each individual is playing...and if THAT doesn't define PJ live, I don't know what can!

 there you have it - Who influence.  What
about all the other things that make The Who great?

You're asking too much. You want the influenced to be on the same level, and quite frankly...no one can. So there you are!

I think you're hearing what you *want* to hear.  I'm guilty of that some-
times, too.

No, I'm hearing what's there. Maybe you're NOT hearing what you DON'T want to hear! Take the new Pearl Jam album, for instance...

Coincidences happen all the time.  Humans look for patterns.

I do look for patterns. It's true.

 Don't sweat it.

It's freakin' 35 degrees here and raining ice. I can't imagine I will anytime soon. Winter...you've got to love it.

Bring sanity back to Washington -
                       vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004

                                             Cheers             ML