Re: Who influenced blah blah blah

> It seems to me you want exact note for note or you won't accept
> it as an influence.

I'd like a little more evidence, that's all; other than meaningless
vagaries.

> Well, that's a bit too much to ask. That's not what an "influence"
> involves.

I know what an influence involves.  But if I don't hear it, I'm not
gonna blindly accept it because Rock pontificators like to say it.

There are too many falsehoods spread around by Rock critics, profes-
sional & amateur, that sound insightful at first but really hold no
weight.

Statements like: Pete Townshend isn't a lead guitar player.  And: Keith
Moon didn't keep the beat in Who songs.  Rubbish.

> > Techno.  Techno makes me think of thumping dance music.
> That's what you get for thinking. There's lots of different kinds of
> Techno.

95% of which is thumping dance music.

> Listen to some T. Rex and you'll see exactly what I mean.

I hate that T. Rex bullshit.

> Besides, Buddy Holly was a poor man's Eddie Cochran.

Buddy Holly & the Crickets rock pretty hard, my friend.  I'll pontifi-
cate now & say that Buddy Holly & the Crickets were the originators
of the "rock band."

> Yeah? Ever listened to Whole Lotta Love?

Gee, no, never heard that one.  ;-/

> ...but there's a whole lotta Who in there

No there isn't.  Where?  What part?  I don't hear any Who in there at
all.  That song is base & vulgar & lacks any subtlety or depth that a
Who song would contain.  The lyrics?  Yuck!  That goofy part in the mid-
dle?  What the fuck is that?  Yeah, Roger Daltrey makes noises like he's
jacking off all the time in Who songs. Those South Carolinians are warp-
ing your mind, Mark.

> > Robert Plant's hair?
> There IS that, too. I mean, how many coincidences am I supposed to
> accept?

I said it sarcastically.  We're talking musical influences here.

> Page has always had a hard on for The Who, ever since Pete refused to
> let him play lead on I Can't Explain.

I can't recall ever reading or hearing Jimmy Page say *anything* about
The Who.  He doesn't even speak much & when he does you can hardly
understand him.  I don't see him running around waving a big Who flag.

> OK, I can see you're looking for exact copies.

Stop it.  I am not.  I'm just questioning some of these "facts" that
get recycled time & again by Rock fans.  I don't buy some of them.

> But that's not what I mean. And if you can't hear it in The Jam,
> then you're not listening.

I'm listening!  I went out & bought a Jam album because I had many
people tell me that if I liked The Who then I'd like The Jam.  That was
12 years ago & I still, to this day, only have *one* Jam album.  And I
know I'm not crazy because my friend Jeff, who *is* a big Who fan, can't
hear any similarities either.  He's as puzzled as I am by that kind of
talk.

> > Pity they couldn't "keep it up."
> Who can? Who has? Even The Who didn't.

They kept it up for a good ten years, buddy.  Better than Pearl Jam's two!

> Ah, I see. You haven't heard it.

Oh, I might've heard one song....I really can't be bothered.  ;-)

> Let's put it this way: I've NEVER failed an essay question...

You probably got detention a bunch of times, though.

> Now, let's see...who was the first band to use a Marshall? Oh, right,
> The Who was the first band to use a Marshall.

That's my whole "pernt," Edith!  Just because The Who started that whole
deal doesn't mean that every band afterwards who also did now has to be
labeled as "influenced by The Who."  If The Who hadn't done it, some
other band would have.

Same with power chords.  "Oh gee, that band has a guitar player who hits
a power chord every now & then.  Boy, they must've been influenced by
The Who."  Bollocks.

If we're gonna look for influences, show me aspects of a band that cor-
respond to something *unique* & *special* about The Who that can't be
disputed.  Style, approach, structure, feel....

> That's why The Who are the best. But only ONE band can be best.

Maybe *that's* why I can't (or maybe refuse to) see Who similarities
in these other bands.

> BTW the subject matter of Jam songs does have similarities to Towns-
> hend's. And Ray Davies' as well.

I'll give you that.  Maybe.  Pearl Jam?  What?  Three songs?

> I used to have high expectations too. But then Rock music began re-
> cycling...

Sad, isn't it?

> There is a chaotic quality to that music, ...and if THAT doesn't
> define PJ live, I don't know what can!

Chaotic?  That band is as safe & gentle as kids playing in a sand box.
There's no danger in Pearl Jam.  Bunch of fucking jocks.  Can't fool me.

> You're asking too much.

I'm very demanding, yes.

> You want the influenced to be on the same level, and quite frankly...
> no one can.

I just wanna hear the influences, buddy-boy.  Before I'll believe, I
must be able to *hear* the evidence.

> So there you are!

Did you stick your tongue out at me?!  Why, you....

> No, I'm hearing what's there. Maybe you're NOT hearing what you DON'T
> want to hear!

The ironic part of this whole conversation is that....you may be right!!

> Take the new Pearl Jam album, for instance...

Yeah, bend over & take it.

> It's freakin' 35 degrees here and raining ice.

Poor Myrtle Beach Boy.  I got up & went to work the other morning &
it was 8 degrees outside.  35 sounds pretty nice.  The raining ice
doesn't, though.

> Winter...you've got to love it.

Do ya'?  Not me.  Kevin does.  He's goofy.

- SCHRADE in Akron