Re: comparing most talented

In a message dated 08/11/2002 1:55:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> Ummm.  There is some heavy competition out there.  I don't know that you can
> elect a Most Talented.  Compare Eric Clapton to Jimi Hendrix, for example.
> Compare Townshend to John Entwistle, even.  How do you rate John's virtuoso
> bass playing against Pete's songwriting?

Well, I can stack up Pete as superior to all of the people you mentioned.
Pete may not be known for the pure guitar skill of Hendrix or Clapton, but is
a much better singer AND songwriter than both of them.  Pete also would kick
both of their asses on other instruments.  Look at all the things Pete has
played on albums, such as keyboards, banjo (sq box), and I think he played
bass on someone else's solo album, or another band's.  As for John, while he
is #1 on anyone's bassist list, Pete had a much better voice, was a better
songwriter, and had far more stage presence.  John would equal or even
surpass Pete in pure musical skill (John also played multiple instruments
well), but Pete wins in the end with ALL things considered.  I really wasn't
looking to pit Pete vs John, but you brought it up.  It's all in fun,
however. :))

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971