Re: comparing most talented

Isn't it always comparing apples to oranges, though? You vote for Pete because you're a Who fan. Clapton fans will always argue that he's the best because he's who they like. The fine points of judging talent are very subjective.

I agree, of course, that Pete is extremely talented, but he also had excellent complements within The Who that cloud the issue. Pete is interesting because he's such a jack-in-the-box. You never know what to expect from him.

keets

Well, I can stack up Pete as superior to all of the people you mentioned. Pete may not be known for the pure guitar skill of Hendrix or Clapton, but is a much better singer AND songwriter than both of them. Pete also would kick both of their asses on other instruments. Look at all the things Pete has played on albums, such as keyboards, banjo (sq box), and I think he played bass on someone else's solo album, or another band's. As for John, while he is #1 on anyone's bassist list, Pete had a much better voice, was a better songwriter, and had far more stage presence. John would equal or even surpass Pete in pure musical skill (John also played multiple instruments
well), but Pete wins in the end with ALL things considered. I really wasn't looking to pit Pete vs John, but you brought it up. It's all in fun, however. :))

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971