Rock Writer Retires

There's a great little article in our Florida Today People section
today.  A small black and white photo of The Who with Jane Scott (circa
1967) first attracted my attention.  How nice they chose The Who rather
than some other possibility.  :)

Here 'tis:

Photo caption: Writer Jane Scott interviews The Who, from left, Keith
Moon, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle and Roger Daltry (sic), in the
late 1960's.  Scott, known locally as the "World's Oldest Teenager,"
retired after 50 years of writing about rock.

Article:

ROCK WRITER RETIRES AT 83

When Jane Scott began writing about rock 'n' roll for Cleveland's The
Plain Dealer, The Beatles were new.  Now, a month before her 83rd
birthday, she's retiring.  Scott's last column appeared last Friday.
"All of the sudden it dawned on me--what am I trying to prove?" she
said.  "I just felt maybe it's about time."

She's well known in Cleveland and the rock music world as just Jane, or
sometimes as the world's oldest teen-ager.  She was a 1941 graduate of
the University of Michigan, where she majored in English and drama.
Her first day at The Plain Dealer was March 24, 1952, three days after
the world's first rock concert--Alan Freed's Moondog Coronation Ball at
the old Cleveland Arena. She began as a society writer, and later wrote
columns for teens and senior citizens.

When the Beatles performed on Sept. 15, 1964, at Cleveland's Public
Hall, Scott was there as a reporter.  "I never before saw thousands of
14-year-old girls, all screaming and yelling," she said.  "I realized
this was a phenomenon.  The whole world changed."

She became the newspaper's rock writer, scoring an interview with Paul
McCartney when the Beatles returned to Cleveland for a performance in
Municipal Stadium in 1966.  "It went on from there, " she said.  "I got
hooked on it."  She wrote about the Rolling Stones, The Who, Led
Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin, David Bowie and other future
Rock and Roll Hall of Famers early in their careers.

She had a knack for spotting talent. "His name is Bruce Springsteen.
He will be the next superstar," she wrote in a review of a 1975 show at
the Allen Theatre.

END

=====
...you're dicing with the devil.  ;)