From: owner-thewho@igtc.com [mailto:owner-thewho@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Mark R. Leaman
Sent: 06 September 2001 17:47
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Beatles/Who/Tridents

> You just don't get it.  All The Great Ones (The Beatles) had to do was
just
> play

Deni:

That's all they COULD do, and that not particularly well. What was that Pete
said about their musicianship being "flipping lousy?"

> Thank you..my thoughts exactly.

I'm sorry, but as good as Keith and John were...there's no WAY they wouldn't
have made it! They were the absolute BEST bass player and drummer, bar none.

> Oh Please!  Give me a break.  Oh, and The Who are! I  could see The Who
being
> #1 with an Anthology CD in thirty countries for 8 weeks after being  gone
for
> 30 years.

Michael Jackson, by your argument, is WAY better than the Beatles. Or the
Eagles, who currently have the best selling album of all time.

> Oh man..I was  there..and The MONKEES were not even close to The Beatles
back
> then...they won over the 10 ,11 and 12  year olds for about a year.

Oh YES, they were. The Beatles and Monkees were neck and neck in popularity
polls. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that a copy and the
original were that close. I remember a book called the Mod Mod Mod World of
the Monkees...and they weren't EVEN Mod!

> So why hasn't the Who made an Anthology CD yet.

Maybe because their label didn't release 30 minute CDs (like Capitol) but
added the extra tracks at the end...Capitol is just selling and reselling
the same stuff over and over and gouging the fans all the way, and that's
hardly admirable or a good reflection on the Beatles IMHO. Where's the
Hollywood Bowl concert, for instance? Are they holding back for a time when
it will sell better?

> I agree, but I have to stand up for The Beatles when someone starts
putting
> them down.. :)

Nicole:

Uh, I don't know that anyone is really putting them down. I haven't. Just
because The Who is better doesn't mean it's a put-down of the Beatles.
They're as good as they could be, just not as good as The Who.

> EXACTLY!  Revolver came out around '68...Who's Next around '71.

Deni:

I thought you said you were around then?

> TheBeaTles paved the way for all that "is!"

AEB:

But that depends on what "is" is. I could make the argument that the Beach
Boys (who were around BEFORE the Beatles) paved the way for the Mop Tops,
therefore THEY paved the way for everyone.

> Little difference between "You Really Got Me" and
> "I Can't Explain" if you analyze the styles.

Nor is there much difference in the Beatles' Long Tall Sally and the Kinks
version...I never understood why Ray Davies got so upset about ICE, when
they'd done pretty much the same thing themselves.

> TheWho-> were not, in any way, the first and only hard
> rocking band of the era........try the JeffBeck era Yardbirds
> on for size.

That's after The Who, sorry (maybe we should start making the dates AW,
After Who, so that would be 1 AW). If you'd mentioned the Tridents (Beck's
earlier band), but you didn't. Besides, it was Blues-based too.

> But my point is that powerpop is not hard rock at all.

Oswaldo:

If the MG album isn't hard Rock, I don't know what is (considering the time
period). Or what is is. Or whatever.

> I'd classify the following Beatles songs as 'hard rock'---in context to
the
> date they were released : "Revolution"  "Helter Skelter" , Back in the
> USSR", "She Said, She Said", "Taxman", "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Frank O:

All in the AW period. I don't know if I'd include TNK anyway; it's heavy but
not in the same way. More like "heavy drugs."

> ML, who ever you are, when you're next in town you'll get a beer or three
as
> we slug out who is right, loved your remarks, observations etc, etc!

Nigel:

Sounds good to me, and if I come over to the UK I'll definitely want to meet
you. But, uh, the beer would have to be cold for me...besides, Gin is more
my speed (thanks to Pete and Quad).

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I
   believe and what I believe-I believe what I believe is right."
            George "My IQ is 91" Bush

               Cheers                 ML