a new album

Hi all. Well, as I read the ongoing speculation on the possibility of a new
album (which I always enjoy), I thought I'd add my two cents worth. Please
don't jump all over some of my simplistic comments - I think as I write.

I don't think we'll see a new album of matetrial from the boys -too much to
risk, verses almost no upside. I do wish that Pete had tried some of his
solo stuff (PD esp.) with the group though.

Why no new album? Well, writing has to get harder with age - when you're
young, you can use teenage angst, rebellion, anti-establishment, and many
topics as sources for your music (hell, even love works, sometimes). But as
you age, and get successful (read 'rich'), some of those topics lose their
accessibility to you (Tracy Chapman singing about poor African-Americans,
well, spend some of your millions then - Alanis Morrisette singing about
how she was hurt by guys?, get over it already...your rich now - we can all
come up with examples)

So as far as Pete's topics go, Pete writing about rebellion? as a member of
the successful establishment, why would  he want to cause a revolution?
Pete writing about love - which kind - respectful, lost, youth, anyway, my
drift is here - how about a song on the evil of booze and drugs - that'd
sell well.)

Of course, his standards for a song are much higher too - we all try to
climb higher with each success.

Then, to get it to market in a world that doesn't market things fairly.
Don't forget the video world - can you see the guys doing a popular video?
(dancing girls, etc...? I could see them smashing things - but that would
be simplistic and I think it would cheapen the history of the sport)

Then, to deal with a press that has always loved to hate the Who. To give
them more ammunition - why? Always would be the comparison to Tommy , LAL,
and Who's Next. Plus all that BS about their ages etc.

Steve