Brit vs. American dominance of rock

From: Tim@aol.com
"You don't get off that easy.  :)  I'm thinking of the post-1960 domination
of and/or influence on rock music by British bands and songwriters."

Tim,
OK.  Since you insist, I'll post some of my own generalizations.
I don't think this is true.  The Brits did dominate much of pop 1960-mid 70s
coinciding with Beatles through 'New Wave' up to disco.  After that, their
influence is nominal and the rock world fractured into so many different
sub-genres that it is difficult to identify what is dominant.

So, yeah, they had a great deal to say during the first half of your
timeframe.  Even during this golden age, they came in after the Americans in
the rock 'n roll, punk and new wave movements.  I'll give them the edge with
metal and prog rock sub-genres, but I don't think these labels neatly fit
the actual sounds anyway (and didn't Jimi create both?).  They are mostly
marketing boxes created by the labels and expounded by the media.

How's that?

BTW for those of you who enjoy labelling particular artists (I'm talking to
you ML) here's a cool website that neatly labels every musical artist known
to the western world:  <http://www.allmusic.com/mus_maps.html>

I had to use it as a reference in all this stuff, because I really don't
believe it for the most part ;-)

Jeff