Angus MacTownshend/Sickness/Carl Palmer/OK So?

>Rock doesn't sound real African these days.  Check out Paul Simon's
>GRACELAND for the addition of African rhythms to contemporary rock music.
>Those Zulu warriors are the masters of rhythm, but they don't care much for

>screaming electric guitar.  That's the influence of ye olde Celtic pipes.

Keets:

Paul Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints" is also hugely layered in African sound
too.  For a period in the mid/late 80s, a few mainstream artists went back
to African rhythm.  Most notably, Mr. Simon and Peter Gabriel.  However, I'm
not sure if that electric guitar influence came from Celtic pipers or Muddy
Waters.  Heck, even Buddy Holly can take credit for being one of the first
to plug in a guitar in white-bread rock and roll.  Chuck Berry too but I
can't see past his "questionable" personal life to appreciate his music
anymore.  Chuck is a sick puppy...  He should get together with Michael
Jackson and make a double album - "A Confederacy of Freaks".  Anyway, I
digress...  You could be right about the Celtic/electric guitar connection.
Wasn't there a 16th Century punk rocker by the name of Angus MacTownshend?
Used to smash his bagpipes at the end of each performance?  Hmm, might have
been in the 17th Century.

>Sickness will surely take the mind where minds can't usually go.....
>
>- - SCHRADE in Akron

A cigar (no offense Bjorn) for Mr. Schrade!  No offense to you Scott either!

And it is nice to see a non-Who musician get a little positive clatter on
this list too.  I agree, Carl Palmer is an amazing drummer.  I've seen him
with ELP twice and Asia once and he was always the best thing to watch and
hear.  He's the only drummer I know of (Gene Krupa excepting) who could
rival Mr. Moon for "showmanship".  However, I never thought Carl Palmer
would have fit into The Who after Moonie's death.  His name has come up in
regards to hypothetical drummers circa 1979.  I always thought Palmer was an
exceptional drummer and his flair was perfect for The Who, BUT he lacked
power.  CP is very much a combination of speed, style, and improv (very
fitting for the Who) but I can't imagine him playing the drum solo prior to
Roger's scream in WGFA.  Just not enough power.  He is one of my favorites
though.

>What do people think is the reason that the UK has had such a strong
>influence on the music we love?

Tim:

You mean besides The Who???  That's a tough question.  I really don't think
the UK has had such an huge influence on music since the mid 1970s.  It
seems like the main influences in rock alternate over the years between the
UK and US.  Sorry Rush and Neil Young fans.  Look at the variations in
demographics of the most "influential" bands/artists over the years:

1950s - Elvis, Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters, Howlin'
Wolf (US)
Early 60s - Bob Dylan (US) - Dylan met the Beatles and they went from pure
pop to "innovators".
1960s - Who, Beatles, Stones, Cream, Kinks etc...  (UK)
1970s - Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc...  (UK)
mid 70s - Bruce Stringbean, Eagles, Boston, Chicago, ugh and argh...  (US)
1980s - A whole mix of shit and more shit from both US and UK.  My only
personal favs for this period are U2 (Ireland), Husker Du and The
Replacements (US).  The rest would insult the sewer if I flushed them all
down...
1990s - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc...  (US)  NOTE:  I won't mention the Spice
Girls if you don't mention Brittany Spears...

However, I will give the UK credit where it's most deserved:  The mid/late
1960s through the mid 1970s, Britain had produced - bar none, the best
musical talent there was - ever.  Yes, legends abound in all time periods,
but I think that 60s/70s period in England produced the greatest bunch of
artists in rock (and roll) history.

Peace to all...

Jim in Colo Springs

"We're a crappy old group really...  but we know how to have fun."  PT