Re: Embryonic Rock

>To settle the "Is Rock American or British" debate - It's neither, it's
>African.  Allow me to cite the philosophical words of the late sage M.
>Morganfield, aka Muddy "Mississippi" Waters who once said:  "The Blues had
>a baby and they called it Rock and Roll."  He was absolutely correct.   And
>Rock and Roll evolved into Rock.  Blues is a combination of Gospel themes
>and traditional African tribal rhythms.  Which is older?  Gospel music or
>African rhythms?  I think that Zulu warriors might have been banging on
>gourdes and howling at the moon before "civilized" man began singing
>"Kumbya".

Rock doesn't sound real African these days.  Check out Paul Simon's
GRACELAND for the addition of African rhythms to contemporary rock music.
Those Zulu warriors are the masters of rhythm, but they don't care much for
screaming electric guitar.  That's the influence of ye olde Celtic pipes.

>However Mark, you paint quite a hilarious picture for me; I can see Eric
>Idle as Sir Robin acting as manager for his minstrels in an attempt to play
>Woodstock 1469 as The Minstrels, a 13th Century rock band.  They get the
>gig, go on before Ye Who, and get eaten for the encore - and there was much
>rejoicing...

Heheh.  And the feasters threw the bones on the floor for the wolfhounds?

:)
keets