Embryonic Rock

Mark said:

>...coming from British minstrel music (as well as good ol' homegrown
>American Blues). Country music also came from Minstrel music, as well as
>early Blues (known as Country Blues and currently somewhat fashionable due
>to O Brother Where Art Thou)...

To settle the "Is Rock American or British" debate - It's neither, it's
African.  Allow me to cite the philosophical words of the late sage M.
Morganfield, aka Muddy "Mississippi" Waters who once said:  "The Blues had a
baby and they called it Rock and Roll."  He was absolutely correct.   And
Rock and Roll evolved into Rock.  Blues is a combination of Gospel themes
and traditional African tribal rhythms.  Which is older?  Gospel music or
African rhythms?  I think that Zulu warriors might have been banging on
gourdes and howling at the moon before "civilized" man began singing
"Kumbya".

Minstrel music indeed...

However Mark, you paint quite a hilarious picture for me; I can see Eric
Idle as Sir Robin acting as manager for his minstrels in an attempt to play
Woodstock 1469 as The Minstrels, a 13th Century rock band.  They get the
gig, go on before Ye Who, and get eaten for the encore - and there was much
rejoicing...

Jim in Colo Springs

"Winter was hard and food was scarce, so the knights were forced to eat
Robin's minstrels.  And there was much rejoicing.  Yeeeeeeaaaahhh..."  The
Tale of Sir Robin