RE: Copy-Cat and a Cigar

>From: John Hughes <john@pureneasy.fsnet.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Zeppelin and song remains the same
>
>Hi crazy:-)

He's definitely *NOT* crazy!

>Unfortunately, the last thing that ever could be said of Zepp is they
>are a Who tribute band, or even copyist.

Wow!  I'd say it's the *first* thing that could and *IS* said of Zepp.

>The only points of reference
>are blindingly brilliant musicians,

Blindingly??  They're good, but I've never been blinded.

>glad to see that you can appreciate their music - there are too many who
>are unprepared or unwilling to accept even that there are bands other
>than the Who who are equally as good if not different.

Different and good.  But definitely not "equally" as good.  Just an HO.

>>but it is blatantly obvious that the Who was their
>> inspiration.
>
>I doubt it.

I don't.  Don't forget that Zepp (before being named such by Moon) wanted to
be *SO* much like The Who, they were trying to get both John and Keith to
defect!  It almost worked too!

>Jimmy Page who was a wonderful guitarist (I haven't seen or heard much of
his work
>for many years, so would not like to comment on his current status)

Oh, well allow me.  I've always liked Page's guitar play, but he really
allowed himself and his play to deteriorate over the years.  Peee-Eeewww.

>and a drummer who was certainly an equal of
>Moon's, if not in wit and style certainly in solidity.

*CACK!!!*  Sorry, got a Cheerio stuck in my windpipe there.

>As a band, they were genuinely brilliant live,

*OH*...*MY*...*GOD* !
"Genuinely brilliant live" is about the last way I would describe Zepp.
Please, if this is true, can someone out there guide me to a live boot, or a
live video, or any other source of live Zepp where they don't sound like
utter shite????  REally!!  I do like Zepp's music, (although I lost interest
years, and years ago) but I've never.....*EVER* heard any live performance
that didn't sound like crap.  I'd love to be turned on to some "genuinely
brilliant live" Zepp.
Yes, I'm skeptical it exists.

>by 1972 the style and publicity began
>to take over, and the last time I saw them in 1972 I was frankly bored.

Welcome to the club.  Hmmmmmm, let's call it the "Wake up and smell The Who"
club.

>> Also- Zep live isn't even in the Who's league based on what I saw.
>
>Sorry, see above.

Don't be sorry.  Just admit you're wrong.

>They also deserve credit for instantly disbanding when John Bonham died.

*CREDIT* ??????  Please.
Ok.  Here's where the *GRAND* debate in *ALL* of Rock 'N' Roll lies.
Should a band disband when one of their members leaves or dies.
I haven't done any extensive research, but I think it's safe to say that
most bands find replacements and continue forward.  Stones and Who come to
mind.  Hell, also The Beatles.
So, of the arguably top 4 bands of all time, 3/4 have replaced original
members and proceeded with successful careers.
Why is it that Zepp is held in such high esteem simply because they called
it quits when Bone-am died??
It's my thinking that it was time to say quits anyway, and John's passing
just gave them a good excuse.

>At least, that's what I think!

Duly noted.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Zeppelin and song remains the same
>
> Their Behind The
>Music episode on VH1 says they actually went in search of a Daltrey
>look-alike, and that the similar curly blond hair and open-chested costumes

>were no accident.  If it's stated publicly, you'd figure there's truth in
>it, or else they'd complain.

Heh, Heh.  You got Keets after ya now!

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Re: Cigars & Bo Peep; Rock Gods & Profanity
>
>Kevin:

Yes?

>I didn't want to. But I must, I must...

Well, if you must...

>I read him more as a critic who thinks it's cool to mention The Who
(because
>after all everyone mentions The Beatles, Stones, etc) so he did.

What ever the reason....the more mention, the better it is for The Who.
And this dude was *WAY* psyched!!!

>But his
>knowledge of the band is limited by the popularity of the album(s). Always
>bad sign. I wonder if he's ever heard Sunrise. Probably not. Then he ain't
>no Who fan, right?

Well, were talking about semantics now.  Where does one draw the line at
being a "fan"?
I wouldn't call anyone who takes the time to seek out a Who-newsgroup/list a
mere fan.
We're Who-Nuts for crying out loud!
I think most simple "fans" probably have never heard of Sunrise.  Sad, but
true.
I mean, look at the numbers in attendance during Who Tour 2000, vs. how many
are on Who lists.
Pretty BIG disparity.

>He "knows" just enough to be dangerous, to get out a lot of
>misinformation.

As long as the misinformation is positive about The Who, then I don't care.
We can call him a "maroooon", but still be psyched that marooons are talking
about my Generation, whooooops, I mean The Who.
The more talk, the more interest is generated.  The more interest that is
generated, the more demand for the music there will be.  The more demand for
the music, the more pressure to satisfy that demand with........supply!
What kind of supply do you ask??  Hell, be it live, or a new album, I don't
really give a Zepp's ass.  I just want more, and I want the whole world to
finally acknowledge that THE WHO (not Zepp, or The Stones, or even The
Beatles) were and are the greatest band ever.
Is that too much to fucking ask???

>That's great. Let's see if they can remember it past the next VH1 awards.

There in lies the great question.
There is momentum.  Who will keep the ball rolling.(?) (that was more of a
question than a wishful statement).
But, if I had to answer, I'd say it will be Rog.

Speaking of Rog and MSG Concert for NY:
I did another viewing this weekend (funny, my wife was only mildly
interested. But she did think it was pretty cool).
I'm now of the opinion that during BBE, Roger was beginning to lose control
of his emotions.  He seemed to really start to get choked-up.  My wife said
it first, and then I agreed.  Hell, he was staring right at a bunch of fire
fighters who were crying and holding pictures of their fallen comrades.
But yeah, all the comments of Rog needing more time to get warmed up, and
also of being out of breath still apply.
Just a couple of cents.

Stay in Tune,
Kevin in VT