Re: New Who and other stuff

> > Jamming and ad libbing are part of the writing process
>
>Historically, Pete has sat down and wrote, then recorded his songs before
>presenting them to the band.

Then what's that story about being drunk and recording stuff and not being
able to figure out the chords later on?

I'm sure Pete has done it a hundred different ways.  The band said the demos
for TOMMY were extremely sketchy, and complained that later on Pete came in
with demos that were too complete and tried to dictate everything.

> > likely to play out on O&S.  Scott actually had to close it down a couple
>of times because people flamed the list, presumably trying to crash the
>server.  He now has software to limit who can post.
>
>I find that amazing...the list was created to let people post freely with
>no restrictions at all.

Didn't work out.

Scott doesn't restrict the posts, but he's ended up restricting the posters,
instead.  It's a complex issue, of course--how to combine maximum freedom in
posting with requirements for behavior.  Leaving it completely open did seem
to lead to a terrorist regime, though, and then to revolution.

> > I'm not sure musicians sit down with a pencil and paper and write songs.
>
>But as I said above, we DO know how Pete writes.

But is it before or after the fact?

>One we've moved beyond. You can't go back, as much as some might want to.
>Forward, upward, onward...that's what I've been talking about.

That's linear thinking, though.  What if it all works in cycles instead?

> > You mean they're no longer forbidden?  Shock rock is still disliked by
>most
>
>But look how hard they have to work to get there...and maybe you don't even
>know how it's gotten with Death Metal, and there's no need for you to
>really. Spare yourself.

Um, I don't really care for it, but I am aware that it goes beyond just
questionable lyrics.  Who is that that does live S&M on stage and invites
the audience to participate?

> > What representative do you mean?  For this list?  For US fans?
>
>For ALL Who fans.

They'll never agree on a representative.  Matt may have elected himself, but
he did make an effort.

Naked Eye provided a fan club, newsletters, conventions, etc.  It's only
very recently that a large number of fans have been online as a form of
communication.  Maybe the last five years?

keets