Re: Music Must Change

> Actually I can hear a nice regular squeak on my computer speakers, which is
> likely what the book is referring to.

It's mostly noticeable at the very beginning of the song.  If I remember correctly,
they miced (hard "c") a wooden floor or wooden platform & Pete did the shoe-
squeaking.

> If that's Pete, sounds like he's  rocking back and forth, as he often does when
> he's playing.

Yeah, it is more of a rocking back & forth than a step-step-step walking sound.
More like the actual pace of the song.

This whole "shoe thing" had to be one of those ideas that sounds good at the start
but never really pans out.

Moon supposedly couldn't play it.  I say "supposedly" because I believe he
*could've* played it eventually given enough practice.  It wasn't because the song
has an odd timing; Moon could always handle complicated songs.  I believe, be-
cause of Moon's physical state, a *releaseable* drum track never materialised.

So someone comes up with the nifty-sounding idea to compliment the gritty, street
lyrics with the sound of walking footsteps thus solving the "lack of a rhythm track"
problem at the same time.  Perfect.

They probably realized right away that the sound of squeaking footsteps running
throughout the entire track was more annoying than complimentary so the once highly-
touted, imaginative "rhythm track got relegated to sound effect status, heard only at
quieter parts of the song.

SCHRADE in Akron