Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #63

>and that when jamming with non-Who members Moon sometimes didn't jive.

I'm a little surprised that he could jive with other musicians at all.  If
they're depending on the drummer to keep time, then they're in trouble right
away.

>I just recently listened to the four cuts on the boxed set album from WAY
>and Moon sounds pretty good to me on his final record with the Who. I think
>Moon must have been insecure if it is true Daltrey, and possibly others,
>were acutally considering replacing him towards the end.

Moon was always insecure.  That look-at-me, clownish behavior was an attempt
to get attention, and it showed he needed to be reassured that Keith Moon
was alright.  He was such a talented guy, and he was playing with a hugely
successful band, and had money and beautiful women and the adulation of the
masses, and none of it was enough.  The Who was the only thing he had that
was solid and enduring, so likely you're right that he couldn't deal with
the idea of being fired, or even that he couldn't keep up with the others
any longer.

As I understand it, the problem with WAY is that Moon was so hard to get in
shape to do it, and they were thinking they'd never get it finished.
Progress was extremely slow and erratic, and there was at least one track he
completely refused to try.

>Finally, you know what is really horsehit is how several critics have said
>Moon's playing was deteriorating on QUAD, and that he was throwing in fills
>where he had no business to.  I thought Moon had a strong, resonant,
>creative sound on that album. I'm curious how other members of this page
>feel about that observation.

QUAD the album sounds awfully slow tempo these days.  (Same with TOMMY,
BTW.)  Considering that, how would it sound without the fills?

keets