RE: JEB in VT and social philosophy

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: JEB in VT
>>It's still the talk of the day on the radio.
>
>Whoohoo.  What do they say on the radio?

Well let me try and re-create. Keep in mind that it was a big music weekend
in Burlington, with a jazz and blues festival going on:
Something to the effect of: "and on top of all that, the main event last
night, at Higher Ground, was absolutely fantastic.  John Entwistle was in
town and put on one hell of a show. Older rockers really know how to play
intense, driving and loud rock.  Those in attendance won't soon forget this
show."

They even mentioned Christian's performance on Real Me at the Matinee:
"One fan had his dream come true when he sang Real Me with the band at the
Matinee Madness.  Boy it was just a whole lot of fun.  The whole band was
very gracious, and particularly John who spent much time meeting and
greeting the fans, signing autographs, and taking pictures.  What a night in
Burltington."

For anyone still on the fence, my wife who is kind of a Who fan by default
;-) really, REALLY, enjoyed this show.  Plus, she didn't find the volume to
be a problem.

>>My sincere apologies to the woman on O&S who posted the very negative
>>review of JEB in AC.
>
>I think PellegrinoLand is a guy.

Oh.  My bad.  Wonder why I thought he was a woman?  ;-)

>>I stood 5ft in front of John, while he played and sang Heaven and Hell.
>
>Those little intimate gigs are terrific, huh?

Understatement!

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Social Crisis ?
>
>Nobody ever answered my question about the influences determining current
>musical styles, meaning that stuff I see on late evening VH1.  Aerosmith
>(with their fingers on the pulse of the times) hit it with their "Jaded"
>cut.  Are kids growning up too fast?  Too much sex in the late night
videos?
>Too much violence?  Maybe we won't be able to identify the reasons until
>we have some perspective on the times.

Well, at this point it's all speculation and theory.  If you ask me, we're
seeing the children of the Woodstock Generation trying to do it bigger.
More sex, more drugs, more violence.  More, more, more.  There seems to be
this interest in the 60's, but it lacks the values that came along back
then.  Perhaps reactionism to the fact that much of what the 60's promised
didn't materialize?  How does one (a typical teen) rebel against hippie
parents?  Flip the bird at peace and love?
Or, is it that they are trying to emulate the 60's, but the values from back
then are just no where to be found today?
I don't know.

>From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
>Subject: more notes on JEB in VT
>
>I saw Bjorn and Christian's fan styles as a
>younger reflection of Kevin and myself.  (Christian = Jeff, Bjorn =
>Kevin).

Hmmmmm, while I'm not one for categories, and definitely don't see my self
as " = " to anyone, if you mean that Bjorn and I share a "punkish" internal
driving energy, you're right there.
The generation gap, if you will, rose only once for me.
During some exceptionally driving music, I again found myself struggling to
maintain myself.  It's a struggle to not revert to that mid-80's slam dance
mentality.  Slam dancing was the way to expel that energy that music was
injecting into you.  Too much injection, with out expulsion, and you explode
(Ka-BOOM!).
At one point, when all hell (musically) was breaking loose, I grabbed
Christian and Bjorn simultaneously, and kind of pushed them violently, and
then shook them a bit.  Just some harmless aggression.  The look on their
faces was of confusion.  They thought I was pissed.  They quickly
understood, and kind of pushed back.
I guess slamming wasn't that big of a concern for them at age 8-10.

>As it turns out, I've got LOTS of time because some guy in front of me is
>monopolizing John's time with countless photos to sign and presents him
>with a "Thank you" Hallmark.

Now, now.  It wasn't all *that*.  Hey, I was telling John a story.  Whether
he was able to hear it, is another story.
But, he jumped at the request for a picture with him holding a sign I made
that read "Stu, wish you were here!" .  It's classic.

>I elbowed to a spot about
>10 feet in front of John, next to Tania O'Neal, where we could feel the
>full impact of John's rig

"Full impact".........that's a very accurate description!

>and still see Kevin O and crew bopping and
>screaming.  Beautiful.

Hey, not hard to find me during a show.  I'm the tall guy up front gettin'
off!

Kevin in VT