Re: Who Banter Trivia revisited & sanitized Helpless Dancer

>Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:06:47 -0400
>From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>
>Subject: Who Banter Trivia revisited
>
>So, someone tell me how back in early 1968 did people know you could die
>from "getting stuffed" from something extremely contagious.

AIDS isn't the only STD around. Syphilis, e.g., is frequently fatal
if left untreated, with some rather exotic side-effects along the way.

>Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:40:12 -0400
>From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
>
>HELPLESS DANCER (Cappuccino Joe version)
>When a man is running from his boss
>Who holds a gun that fires "cost"
>People die from getting old
>Dying alone, alone and cold
>Bombs are dropped on fighting cats
>Children's dreams all runs with rats
>If you complain you disappear
>When you speak out you live in fear
>No one can live without a grace
>Of some unseen and distant face
>And now you're frightened of the blacks
>Who, 'though they worked, still got the sack
>And when your soul tells you to hide
>You're very right, to die's denied
>And in the battle on the streets
>You fight computers and receipts
>And when a man is trying to change
>It only causes further pain
>You realize that all along
>Something in us is going wrong
>You stop dancing

Oh man.  I'm having that involuntary NO! reaction that I had when
they cleaned up the "Tommy" lyrics.  Although I DON'T like it, I can
understand cutting the un-PC stuff- the "lesbians & queers" line, and
being "beaten up" by blacks (at least they left the line
in..."blacks" itself verges on the non-PC), but "Dying alone, alone
and cold"??  Couldn't SOMEONE have some up with something the didn't
involve repeating a word?  for that matter, what's wrong with the
original line anyway?  And, FWIW, I think the line is: "Your very
right to die's denied."

I wonder whether this all bugs Pete as much as it does me.  He's made
a flipping CAREER out of being non-PC, and now this.
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."