RE: Pete not tripping at Woodstock ?

>From: thewho rocks <leb905@yahoo.com>
>Subject: RE: Townshend not on Acid at Woodstock - according to Pete
>
>In this statement, I thought Pete meant he was habitually straight at
>the time of Woodstock.

I read it that way as well.  But, I also read it as he was straight during
the actual show too.  I've never heard Pete or anyone else say that Pete had
drank (drunken?) spiked water or any other such thing.
I have to ask, if this did occur, then why would he not say so?  I mean, the
next logical statement following  "I wasn't using acid or even smoking pot
at the time of Woodstock," would surely be, 'so I was pretty pissed when I
discovered that I was blindly dosed'.
I've never heard him say that, or even hint at that.
Also, why would he state:  "I suppose I kind of sat there and sneered at
everybody,
really.  My feeling of being outside this whole group of people in my
industry who were getting stoned all the time <snip>".
Sounds pretty clear to me that he didn't feel part of the crowd, because
they all were getting "stoned" and he wasn't.  The two statements alone may
paint a different picture, but combined says to me pretty clearly that he
wasn't doing drugs *that day* and that's what caused his feeling "outside of
this whole group of people in his industry".
For me to believe otherwise, I would need to see a statement by Pete or one
of the band members that says that Pete was tripping too.
Also, I find it hard to believe that if Pete *was* tripping, that he would
be so angry, and simply sit around in disgust.  The mind simply won't allow
that while under that influence (IMHO).

>Likely the whole band was <straight>, except Keith.  Roger
>said he had given up drugs (except maybe pot and beer) because they
>made singing harder.

No argument there.

>Actually, the whole band seemed to be pissed
>about having their drinks spiked.

Where do you get that from?  I think they were pissed for many, many reasons
by the time they got there.

>From what John said, they barely got
>him upright and out on stage in time to perform.

Yes.  The only one I've ever heard who got the spiked drink was John.  All
talk about the spiked drinks seem to all come from or be about John.

>What would they do without The Ox?

Not play.

Kevin in VT
Looking for Proof.