RE: Pete not tripping at Woodstock ?

> >In this statement, I thought Pete meant he was habitually straight at the
>time of Woodstock.
>
>I read it that way as well.  But, I also read it as he was straight during
>the actual show too.  I've never heard Pete or anyone else say that Pete
>had drank (drunken?) spiked water or any other such thing.

I can't pin it down right now.  I've read too many interviews and can't
recall which said what any more, but Roger has talked about it a couple of
times.  It went something like this:  They were there thirteen hours before
they went on stage, and it was impossible to be anywhere that long and not
to eat or drink something.  Everything they got was spiked: coke, coffee,
water, food.

Roger didn't tell any details of what kind of trip he had, but he did say he
was completely disoriented, and looked out at the crowd when the sun rose
without any idea of where he was.

>Also, why would he state:  "I suppose I kind of sat there and sneered at
>everybody, really.  My feeling of being outside this whole group of people
>in my industry who were getting stoned all the time <snip>".
>Sounds pretty clear to me that he didn't feel part of the crowd, because
>they all were getting "stoned" and he wasn't.  Also, I find it hard to
>believe that if Pete *was* tripping, that he would be so angry, and simply
>sit around in disgust.  The mind simply won't allow that while under that
>influence (IMHO).

Pete never feels part of a group.  ;)

Do you suppose that was early in the day?  Later on he might have started to
have hallucinations without much of an idea where they were coming from.

> >Actually, the whole band seemed to be pissed
> >about having their drinks spiked.
>
>Where do you get that from?  I think they were pissed for many, many
>reasons by the time they got there.

Definitely so.

> >From what John said, they barely got
> >him upright and out on stage in time to perform.
>
>Yes.  The only one I've ever heard who got the spiked drink was John.  All
>talk about the spiked drinks seem to all come from or be about John.

That was probably the emergency.  Actually, I'd say John has the slowest
metabolism.  Keith could do a lot of drugs because he was so manic.  Roger
and Pete likely burnt them off pretty fast, too.  John has a tendency to
move slowly and get fat, so he's the one they couldn't get up on his feet.
It was like:  Yikes!  John's down for the count!  What do we do now?

keets