RE: Abbie Hoffman Incident

>Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
>From: thewho rocks <leb905@yahoo.com>
>
>Since no one stepped forward from the list as an attendee, I emailed
>Glenn Weiser and asked if he had any impression of the incident.
>Here's what he says:
>
>I did see it. Abbey got onstage and only got a couple of words into the
>mic before his body turned horizontal in midair and he was grabbed and
>bodily removed.

Nice catch, Lela.  This adds a couple of new (at least to me) elements to
the story:

1) Abbie's body turning horizontal in the air.  It depends at at partially
on Weiser's angle of view.  This could just mean he got bonked on the head
and instantly ducked as a result of the blow (turning his body horizontal
from the waist down) or it could mean his entire body, including his legs,
were horizontal, indicating either that Pete really bonked the crap out of
Hoffman's head or that Hoffman deliberately did a "hit the dirt" bellyflop
onto the stage.

2) "he was grabbed and bodily removed".  This is the only account of this
happening I've ever read.  Every other account I remember says that Hoffman
jumped off the stage under his own power.

If Weiser were on the ground, up close to the stage, he might have seen
just Abbie's upper body, and that he jumped off the stage, and inferred
that his body went horizontal and that he was ejected by others.

How 'bout that?

Lela, could you ask him what his position was when he saw this?

Cheers,

Alan
Dell is the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.  Apple sees in 3-D.