Punk Who, buddy!

>(aside from Clem Burke) musicians who sound like they ever even heard Moon
or
>the Ox? I wish it were otherwise, but that's reality.

SP:

I can name you plenty. Concerning Entwistle, the vast majority of players
before `65 just hit a string at the change, whereas after JAE they became a
contributing part of the sound. You can credit The Who for almost every bass
player that does more than play the changes.
As for drums, starting with Mitch Mitchell, going to Rick Buckler (Jam) and
on, including most drummers that don't merely keep time. Whether he sounds
like him or not, Peart has said Moon was his influence. And as John Bonham
said. Just because none of them do (or even can) play exactly like Keith or
John doesn't mean they weren't influenced by them. One again, I invite all
to look at Rock N Roll before the first Who releases and Rock afterwards.

>Being gay is "a lifestyle" and "a choice which can be made and unmade,"
>- -John Ashcroft

Jeff:

What a tool. That's what I hate the most; their attitude that they know
better or are smarter than everyone else when it's pretty clear they're
clueless. So arrogant in their ignorance. "We still don't really know what
causes global warming." Well, everybody does but you DUH-Bya! You completely
pathetic moron.

>"Everyone thinks the British, but we did when we started in '74. When we
>played London in 1977, people like Johnny Rotten [of the Sex Pistols],
>the Clash, and the Damned all told us we were responsible"

I don't believe it. Anyone could say that after the fact. And speaking of
facts, it's easy to see that the Ramones were heavily influenced by the New
York Dolls, who in turn would have to be influenced by the Stones and Velvet
Underground. Another source of Punk, to be sure, but I perfer the British
branch: the Kinks had the sound, The Who had the attitude and energy. from
there to Sex Pistols & Clash & Joe Jackson & Police and so on. The Dolls may
or may not have toured the UK (I have no idea), but they were certainly a
major band in 1974 when no one had heard the Ramones outside of a bar.
Played on the radio, shown on TV. If the British punk bands were influenced
by any US band, I'd have to say it is much more likely to have been the
Dolls than Ramones.

          "I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
             answer questions. I can't answer your question."
                          George "no hole in the ozone layer" Bush

                          Cheers                               ML