RE: Audiophile - O&S vs. IGTC - Let's just get it all out in the open..and then call it quits already.

>From: Stuart Pittman <stoo@CAE.COM>
>Subject: Re: Talmy vs Astley; Carl Palmer; Astley vs Talmy
>
>However, as of late, the "bitching and whining"
>on this list about the "audiophile camp"

Wow, as a frequent poster to this list, I don't see this.  A snide comment
here or there, but "bitching and whining"?
I would venture to guess that most would admit that there is indeed
relevance to what the "audiophile camp" is doing.....to a degree.  I for one
appreciate that there is a group who is watch-dogging this stuff.  We all
want quality.  And at the very least, I'm always interested to hear about
how this stuff comes about.  If I wasn't, I wouldn't be reading O&S.  But,
for my 2 cents, it seems that it goes too far at times, and perhaps isn't
addressed in the most effective way.  Just an HO, and one that could easily
be disproved.
What you are perhaps seeing as "bitching and whining" is simply some listers
addressing the history of another list labeling igtc as "the kiddy list", or
"low IQ", or other such "pointless" garbage.
Hey!  They started it!! (suddenly feels like Israel vs. Palestine in here).
The sooner we all come to accept that each list has it's pro's and con's,
the sooner we can all come together as one......all devout fans of The Who.
I really don't get this stupid list competition.  Never have, never will.
To me, it's in *DIRECT* contradiction to the teachings of Pete, and has
dismayed me since first joining.  If any of my posts are seen as lashing
out, it's simply due to a strong sense of loyalty, and frustration with this
competition phenomenon.  It's all stupid and moronic. *REALLY*.
With that said, I've always appreciated Brian Cady for his even
representation across *ALL* lists.  There is one guy who "get's it".

>One can't deny that discussing the sound of a Who CD is a tad
>more list-relevant than the origin of rock music or what some
>neighbour said about The 'Oo.

You see, this is my point exactly.  A subjective statement if ever there was
one.
Who set these rules???  Where is this written???  And further more, who
cares?  There have been many very interesting discussions that stemmed from
"what some neighbor said about the 'Oo".  I find it interesting to hear what
the general public is saying about The Who.  It helps me keep a finger on
the pulse of public opinion.  And, I for one wouldn't want to discourage
anyone from posting anything related to The Who.  Plus, really, there's so
much talk about the sound of Who CD's that it just doesn't warrant
repeating.  Plus, maybe people just don't agree there is such an egregious
problem.  If a group takes a strong position, it's to be expected that there
will be some who disagree.
I'm picking up a whiff of egocentricity.

>I have rarely, if ever, voiced my discontent on these forums about
>any the above re-issue gaffes so I don't feel under the gun.

Perhaps, but you seem to have a somewhat negative attitude about this list.
Is it just me?  Am I too sensitive?  I don't think so.

>I just don't understand the attitude displayed by some of .igtc's frequent
>posters. What is being seen is a criticism of Odds&Sods/audiophiles
>by the same crowd who belittle "casual Who fan" rock critics. This
>is quite bizarre, wouldn't you say?

I think there's enough being "too sensitive" to go around.
And, I think educating a "rock critic" of mistakes, mistakes which are by
the power of the pen broadcast world-wide has a certain degree of
"relevance", wouldn't you say?

>"...and everyone is upside-down",
>Stoo

And sometimes that's just A-OK.