Asimov's Violence/Backstage with ELP/Chicago'79

Mark:

>Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. (Isaac Asimov)

"I kicked him in the balls and sent him off..."  (Pete Townshend)

"There's a guitar up here for any little git who wants to come and fucking
take it from me."  (Pete Townshend)

"Fuck off my fucking stage!"  (Pete Townshend just before resorting the
incompetancy...)

"Roger seemed to solve things by a punch in the face..."  (Any member of the
Who in regards to Daltrey's being incompetent in the early days.)

"We'll be fighting in the streets..."  (Pete Townshend)

"Stand back or I'll tear your tonsils out."  Moe Howard

I must say an odd bit of irony there my friend.  Seeing as how The Who has
been referred to by countless critics and reviews as a form of "violence"
and even Kit Lambert referring to them as a form of violence, I'm not sure
if YOU are calling The Who incompetent by quoting I. Asimov here.  Shame on
you, you heretic!!!

>> roadie for ELP he knows that CP has power; he's seen it.  Mark, you don't
>>have to be a roadie to see CP play - you can buy a ticket to see the show;
>

>I got to see things no audience member ever did.

I wasn't talking about groupies servicing ELP backstage Mark...  Not saying
that YOU were the groupie mind you, but you don't have to be backstage to
hear Carl Palmer play.  And even if you did see things "no audience member
ever did", the question that begs to be asked is:  Why would Carl Palmer
save his best "power" for the roadies backstage instead of the audience???
What you're saying is you've seen CP display his power because you were
backstage as a roadie.  Well, I was a paying audience member and I didn't
see/hear it.  I still don't see where your advantage of being backstage
proves anything about CP's power behind a drumkit.  I've been backstage for
several concerts myself during the show and I will agree with you that the
drums do seem louder only because you are closer to them.  Power?  Yes.
WHO-like power?  Not even close.  And also remember that a band isn't
performing for their roadies, they perform for their audience.  If the
audience can't feel the "power" then there ain't none.  Simple as that.  ELP
was one of the loudest bands I've seen and very powerful.  But still, not in
The Who's league.

Stoo:

>>I remember watching exerpts from that show on TV in Chicago back in '79.
>>local dj (Steve Dahl) had a late-night special and he featured two Who
>>songs
>>from that show (Punk & Godfather and My Wife I think).
>
>I believe that show was called "Night Flight".

I'm ashamed to actually remember the name of the show in which the footage
was shown.  It was not "Night Flight" as I remember that show very well.
USA network's Night Flight was very cool for a while.  The show I referred
to was on LOCAL Chicago TV only and it was called (a-hem)  "Not for Midgets
Only".  Steve Dahl (you may have heard of Disco Demolition night in the
'70s; Dahl's 15 minutes of national infamy) was the local dj who created the
show/special and featured The Who at the Ampitheater.  Night Flight probably
would have shown more footage instead of two songs.

Peace off,

Jim in Colo Springs

"Now I'm too old to enjoy my money..."  JAE