New LAL; Ripping CDs

Earlier it was posted on this list that you could pre-order the new LAL at
Amazon.com, but I haven't been able to locate the place. All I can find is
the older version. I'd like to get the Polydor release, since I already own
the MCA version. So anyone who might know, please post the address. Thanks.

> I certainly agree with you about the protection of intellectual rights,
and

Keets:

I would certainly hope so!

> This is a Russian programmer employed by a company in Russia, who was
> arrested because he worked on a project for his company.

Perhaps, but that's not how it appeared in what I read (also a skim, I'll
admit). Even if he was doing it for a company, it's still wrong to break a
law for your company and besides, unless it was the Russian government he
could hardly be considered a political prisoner. There is such a thing as
industrial spying too.

> it up in International court.  They should not take the company's
employees
> hostage.

I don't think they did. I think they took the perp into custody, as
proscribed by US law.

> Well I hate to say it but unless they stop people from buying microphones
> and other recording equipment than there will always be bootlegged copies
of
> new songs.

Drew:

It's even easier than that. Occasionally I have copied a song from a CD
which my CD-ROM wouldn't read by playing in my stereo and putting into the
sound card...just as I do tapes and LPs, when making CDs out of them.
It won't be digital quality. That, I guess, is all they can stop. After all,
people have been recording from the radio for decades.

> We're no innocent angel, but there is no way in hell we are the "biggest"
> violator of human rights!  Get a grip!

Rich:

Whoa there, partner. I didn't say we were, I just said we "may be." As in:
"Well that may be true but..." And what it comes down to is one's
interpretation. As a person with a small-but-measurable bit of Cherokee
blood, I can safely say that a case could be made for the US being numero
uno.

> Even Waco doesn't make us qualify for that distinction.

I don't think Waco was a violation. Koresh was an idiot and killed himself.
If it had been me, I'd have said: "Take the guns, I'll keep the women." But
you can't give me (privately if you wish) a single GOOD reason for
stockpiling firearms. What would you say if he was on your street shooting
all those not in his religion? "Why didn't the government stop him since
they knew he was stockpiling etc. etc." Most of the time, there's no clear
ground...just grey areas.

"You saw the president yesterday. I thought he was very
  forward-leaning, as they say in diplomatic nuanced circles."
          George "my IQ is 91" Bush

               Cheers                 ML