RE: Labels

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: labels
>There would likely be an
>early interest in a new studio album

I think there already is "early interest" in a new <studio> album.  The stir
created by the simple mention of it was akin to the second coming.  I was
really psyched at how the press jumped on the mention.  The Boys definitely
still hold the respect out there.

>, especially if it were well promoted by, say, a tour and a video on
MTV/VH1 and etc.

I think confirmation that a new album is actually in the works and is
definitely coming, would cause the "stir" to be elevated to "puree".  I
really get a sense of anticipation out there.  Maybe I'm clouded by bias,
but the time does seem right.  Everything I keep hearing, like this recent
post of yours that TWSO is now "in", tells me that the public wants
meaningful music from back in the day.  Couple that with a connection to
present society and issues/concerns/meanings, and you have the making of a
grand step forward into the public limelight.  Dave Marsh I think kind of
hit on this concept of mine.
Hell, I saw a Hottie the other day walking down the street with big fat
heels, big 'ol bell bottom jeans, a jeans jacket with rhinestones and a big
classic Zep patch (Poor misguided fool ;).  The topper was her J-J Walker
multi-colored puffy hat with brim!!  I mean, I was like "what year are we
in?" !!!  I could almost hear the "Di-No-Might!".
BUT, BUT, BUT!!!!!!  If The Who *does* do an MVT/VH1 Vid., which I would
also want to see happen, I hope to dear God that they don't "fuzz out or
haze" the view of their faces like the Rolling Stones did a couple of years
ago to hide their age.  I was embarrassed for them.  "Keep it real, or get
out of my face".

>After that, assuming it got into the record store bins alongside the other
albums, we could
>expect it to plug along somewhere after LIVE AT LEEDS and WHO'S NEXT.

That's the key.  I too am nervous about simply releasing a new Who album on
eelpie.  *That* won't get it on the shelves where it should be to get it
really moving.  Plus, let's imagine, ok dream ;-) that a new album really
makes it big.  Wins a Grammy (I know, doesn't mean much.  Oh yeah?).  Having
it on EP would really be a  stumbling block for your average shmo, who also
likes to attend Who concerts.  Look at all the tens of thousands of fans who
attended shows this summer.  Trust *me*, they're not all on computers, or
even have access.  Most non list folk I spoke with didn't even know about
Pete's web page, let alone EP.

Kevin in VT
(not necessarily condoning big labels, but........)