Mush on Lifehouse; R.E.M.; Overdubbing

>TO THE LIFEHOUSE
>Dave Marsh
>4/20/01
>
>It's a blessing that so many records today...

What an odd review. Marsh is either wrong or half-wrong about a few things.

>you can't buy Lifehouse in stores,

Lifehouse Elements is available in stores.

Shouldn't that be www.eelpie.com?

>and then only as part of a six record box set.

Do you mean a six CD box set? (OK, I guess he's old school.)

>The final two discs of the box set offer the three hour radio
>dramatization of Lifehouse

The radio play is less than two hours.

Now, maybe I'm being too harsh on Marsh. But here's the part that
really bothered me:

>Thirty years later, with the aid of some skilled collaborators,
>Townshend has finally told the tale in a way that anyone can grasp it.

Really? The problem is that Marsh knows enough about previously
discussed story lines for Lifehouse that he works those pieces into
his review, even though those pieces may be completely absent or
poorly developed in the radio play. Marsh also seems make up his own
parts of the story:

>it [the vision of Lifehouse] is itself subverted, partly because
>people who could have made a difference withhold themselves.

Huh?

But there is one part that I agree with, which certainly doesn't need

scott p. said:

>you cannot make a studio album then not tour.... No record company
>will let you make a record and not tour.

R.E.M. has done it a few times and is doing it again with their next
album out next month.

I, too, hope for a new Who album. Even if there's no supporting tour.
But I'm not holding my breath.

[Quote from ICE, provided by scott p., about re-release of LAL incl. Tommy:]

>There is more that mentions daltrey going remix a few vocal things he is
>worried about. He is going in with Astley and his remixing partner Andy
>mcpherson but on Tommy daltrey's voice gave way and he sounded tired.

I can't remember the exact words of the quote, but isn't there an
interview of Roger in which he criticizes bands who overdub live
albums (probably making an unnamed dig at The Eagles)? Didn't he say
something like, "Give me a bum note and a bead of sweat any day"?
Maybe remixing and overdubbing are two different things. Maybe he was
younger then. Maybe I dreamed it.

Jim

"Could I please, please, please have my lawn mower back?" - PT, 11-9-98