recording tapes on CD - Help!

This is barely WHO-related, so if any of you feel more comfortable to e-mail
me privately, please do so. I have just started trying to transfer some of
my coveted WHO concert tapes to CD.

Anywhoo, I don't have a fancy setup. I'm using my sound recorder in my Dell
computer. It's called the Music Match Jukebox. I can plug a tape player into
either the microphone or the line-in jack and record, but I have a few
questions:

1. How can I hear the music while it's taping? I have to turn my speakers
way up to hear a really low whisper of music during the recording process.

2. Is it better to use line-in or microphone to plug my tape deck into?

3. How high up should the volume control on the recorder be?

Thanks in advance.

-gern